Using Physan as a drench?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I occasionally see something similar right after repotting, but they usually goes away within a month or so. They eat whatever they can, and the rest is too difficult for them to access. Maybe you can accelerate this process with Inocucor, but yeast (I believe it is one major component of Inocucor?) probably would do the same thing.

If you are paranoid about it, have you tried H2O2? Or the Zero-Tol thing.

Over the summer, I drenched many of my plants with Physan-20 and its equivalent (RD-20, at 1.5tsp/gal or Bemis Humidifier Bacteria Treatment at the similar concentration of the active ingredients) frequently in an attempt to control bush snails. Most healthy plants were not killed, but weak ones died. I used bunch of other chemicals, so I can't pin point the phytotoxicity to Physan-20, but the phytotoxicity of quaternary ammonium compounds (active ingredients of these) isn't too bad at this concentration for orchids. Caffeine is a different matter, and caused major damage to my orchids....

No change so far. I just hit it with a second dose.

Here's some photos of the mold if anyone has any recommendations for dealing with it:

--Stephen

Steven, I think this is a mycelium growing on the CHC or any other ingredients that are not matured enough. It basically feeds on the carbohydrates and when they are exhausted it will disappear but you may have damaged roots by then. I believe your mix needs to be re-considered. (BTW from my trials growing ferns in CHC, it can take 2 years or more before the chips no longer get attacked by this fungus) Sometimes, a drench in Calcium hydroxide stops it as it prefers acidic (and dryish) conditions. It usually does not occur so much if very wet. Bacteria usually take over then. Maybe a competitive bacterial approach might work also?

This mold came with two plants that I recently got. I repotted, but that didn't solve the problem. I've been using the CHC mix for years with no mold issues before now.

Latest posts

Back