Typical summer scenes in the mountains of Kyushu, Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Please enjoy this video of typical plants and animals of Kyushu in Fukuoka Prefecture.

Japanese Summer Scenes

LiliumSpeciosumFLS.jpg

Nice as always - thanks fot sharing! It looks so refreshing - but when you write about C. reflexa it makes me think that is a hot fog...

What a forest! Would love to stay there for a while. Maybe one day...

It looks so refreshing - but when you write about C. reflexa it makes me think that is a hot fog...

Well, relatively speaking the forest at this altitude is a bit cooler than in the lowlands where I live, and much cooler than the heat island of the nearby Fukuoka City (population ~1.3 million). Daily highs on sunny days are around 30-32 C, while cloudy days wouldn't go over 26-28 C. It is the horseflies that are a real challenge when stopping to take photos!

A plant in habitat from yesterday morning:

CalantheReflexaHabBB.jpg

Wonderful video, Tom! "typical" plants, huh? :poke: These Calanthe and Thrixspermum aren't that common, are they?

I love the sound of Meimuna opalifera (tsukutsuku-boushi cicada), but I guess it is telling us the summer is almost over...

Thanks again for sharing these! I especially enjoyed this one with no commentary and just natural sounds because it made me feel like I was actually there hiking in the woods. And the labelled plants/insects was very helpful too.

Well done! Great color!
Thumbs up for all the Lillium!

Looks like you had the place all to yourself.
Jealous.

Thanks to everyone. I'm glad you are enjoying the video.

Wonderful video, Tom! "typical" plants, huh? :poke: These Calanthe and Thrixspermum aren't that common, are they?

I love the sound of Meimuna opalifera (tsukutsuku-boushi cicada), but I guess it is telling us the summer is almost over...

Hey Naoki, yes indeed summer is fading here now. The truth is that the video was shot over two months time - July and August - so each clip has different sounds. This year was odd too, cool and very wet, like the monsoon never ended and heat of late July and August couldn't build up. Going to be a bad year for rice.

As for the rarity of things in the video, I'd say that the Thrixspermum is indeed a common species locally and throughout its range in Japan. C. reflexa is another matter. It is considered threatened to endangered in all of Japan, but luckily is found from southern Hokkaido to Kyushu and won't be completely lost. In the Fukuoka area I've seen it only in a few places.

Well done! Great color!
Thumbs up for all the Lillium!

Looks like you had the place all to yourself.
Jealous.

Thanks Clark. I try to present nature videos such that they reflect what "once was". In truth Japan is a very busy place, particularly near a big city like Fukuoka.

Great work again Tom!!!! Thanks a lot for showing!!!!
You used a tripod for most of the sequences, didn't you? That really brings a lot !!!!
Jean

Latest posts

Back