Two types of Paph. dayanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are really nice. Dayanum doesn't do very well for me. They seem to just slowly deteriorate. I wonder if you could share your culture of these?

Bill

It is always great to have different types of one grex. Variatio delectat!

I didn't know there were two forms of this species. If yours are a typical example of each, I'll be looking for the larger variety.

Those are really nice. Dayanum doesn't do very well for me. They seem to just slowly deteriorate. I wonder if you could share your culture of these?

Bill

Bill, I have treated it as just another barbata. Similar culture to venustum. I planted this in bark, lava rock and water it every 3 days. Cultured under lights. temps are about 19-22c. Humidity is fairly low 40-50% but probably will do better in higher humidity but you have to adjust watering/mix.

n

Bill, I have treated it as just another barbata. Similar culture to venustum. I planted this in bark, lava rock and water it every 3 days. Cultured under lights. temps are about 19-22c. Humidity is fairly low 40-50% but probably will do better in higher humidity but you have to adjust watering/mix.

Thanks, I've probably kept them too wet and too hot. I'll have to try again. I think the dorsals on these just grab me for some reason. Not to mention the beautiful leaves.

Bill

I think the larger one is low land species and smaller one is highland species. Temp wise intermediate, but the lowland one love love heat and humidity. I got one with leaf span of over 12" and flower 5" across. Very long lasting.

The dayanum that makes the parent of the natural hybrid P. x kimbalianum (P. rothschildianum x P. dayanum) is actually the giant dayanum.

Latest posts

Back