Two pink phrags - Albopurpureum and Waunakee Sunset

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
My holiday phrags:
Phrag Albopurpureum
DSCN1402.jpg

DSCN1426.jpg

Phrag Waunakee Sunset, a first bloomer
DSCN1571.jpg

Thanks for looking

Fren - they're both lovely - very soft colors especially on the Albopurpureum.

I can see a face in the Albopurpureum too....:D

I really like the one labelled as "Albopurpureum"; but, I also agree with Jean-Pierre. It's not labelled right. Have a look at the Albopurpureum photos on www.Phragweb.info. You'll see that the caudatum influence makes the petals much longer and much more vertical. This flower looks like Calurum, a very nice Calurum. There are a lot of "Calurums" around with the label Albopurpureum. I think that they may all originate from the same Canadian orchid nursery. Plus, these plants are very vigorous and people take divisions and spread them around, all with the wrong name.

Since Calurum is also known as Ainsworthii, it is possible that someone mistakenly wrote a label from memory and got it wrong, writing Albopurpureum instead of Ainsworthii.

BTW: Calurum is Sedenii x longifolium and Ainsworthii is Sedenii x roezlii (a.k.a. longifolium var. roezlii). Currently, roezlii is considered a variety of longifolium; therefore, the cross Sedenii x longifolium has two registered names(!), "Calurum" or "Ainsworthii", depending on which variety of longifolium was used.

I love them both.

I'm hearing the same thing about my Albopurpureum, that it is really Calurum. It's in spike again, so we'll see...

Dot, I remember your "Albopurpureum" and there is little doubt in my mind that it is Calurum. One thing is certain, it is not Albopurpureum. It's easier to say what something is not, than it is to say what something is.

Thanks for your opinion on Albopurpureum. I am happy with it too! It was sold to me on eBay using a photo like the clone 'Sir Arthur' so it suprised me. I do see the bloom resemblance to Calurum now that you mention it. Just in case, I'll describe the plant. Last year the bloom wasn't as nice but I was on vacation when it bloomed (last year it only produced two blooms. It does not seem to produce many blooms looking at this years spike but I cannot tell for sure).

Also it is a division and I think grows faster than my other caudatum hybrids, but not as fast as my Randy Macdonald which I got at the same time. (from the same person that sold me the pearcei that could be var. ecuadorense) It does grow faster than my Phrag Bouley Bay 4N division for J.P. Faust which I got earlier this year (new plant) and my Phrag tall Tails x Mem. Dick Clements from seed (though this plant has picked up in growth speed this summer).

The leaves are broad, somewhat upright, stiffer and shorter than something such as my Phrag Randy Macdonald (Phrag. Hanne Popow x Phrag. Sedenii - 25% longifolium 25% Phrag. besseae 50% Phrag. schlimii). Since Calurum has a lot of longifolium in it, shouldn't the leaves be very long? My Phrag Bouley Bay 4N has longer foliage too though.

Shall I change the name tag? I have seen a Canadian nursey with albopurpureum like mine in a catalogue in the past. I also believe Wendy has a photo online like my plant: Wendy's Albopurpureum So they were all mislabelled as John suggests?

I'm not sure if comparing the foliage of plants helps. I am taking this at night so I had to use flash. The ruler is 30cm
From left to right:
"Albopurpureum", Tall Tails x Mem. dick Clements (unbloomed), longifolium, Randy Macdonald
DSCN1586.jpg

I think the pouch of my "Albopureum" got larger or the dorsal raised higher. I should take new photo in the morning.

It looks just like my fake Albopurpureum Fren. I had both bloom last yr and the Calurum(aka Albopurpureum) is a big plant with very wide leaves. BUT the leaves are on the short side and stay straight (stiff) not floppy like longifolium. The Albopurpureum I bloomed was small in comparison with arching leaves. It looks like a pearcei on steroids

ok thanks all for catching this:)

probably the petals should droop more, both caricinum and caudatum have drooping petals

I thought before to use my besseae flavum pollen (who is just opening up!) on this phrag but I shouldn't breed a plant with a confused tag. Well the twisted dorsal doesn't make it a good parent either.

Latest posts

Back