true miniature paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surprisingly for phrags, i went for the big ones, haha. giganteum & sorcerer's apprentice are big ones and maria glanz & conchiferum which are smaller. but no mini's there.

hmm seems like harold koopowitz's book looks quite interesting--from the sample i read online. i've gotta see if i can find it at a chapters/indigo.

leo: i like ur little blurb on bonsai methodology, definitely applicable

hien: even if wat u said is right and that almost everything is legal here in canada, is there a place where i can look? maybe like a CITIES pages in the Environment Canada or something?

shakkai--true that the schulimi hybrids definitely stay small but for me at my current skill level, i dun think i will be able to grow

im currently looking at hybrids of Cochlopetalums. are most of them easy to grow and bloom? and they do stay relatively small right?

shakkai--true that the schulimi hybrids definitely stay small but for me at my current skill level, i dun think i will be able to grow

im currently looking at hybrids of Cochlopetalums. are most of them easy to grow and bloom? and they do stay relatively small right?
Yes and yes:D

....im currently looking at hybrids of Cochlopetalums. are most of them easy to grow and bloom? and they do stay relatively small right?

I have to disagree with Rick on this one. Primulinum stays smallish, especially var. purpuratum, for me.
My lieminianum has a 24" leafspan with leaves 2 1/2 wide & occupies a 6" pot with ease. My chamberlainanum is slightly smaller. Most cochlos I would say fall into the medium - large size.
Check out these threads - http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9971
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10450
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10452

is it one of those calcium liking ones? and if so, wat can i put into the bark mix to make it calciferous--dolomite?

A friend recomended crumbled egg shells as an easy source of calcium. Haven't tried it but it seemed to work for him.

Dear Leo
As a hybridiser I hate the thought of "forcing" a plant to be compact.
Developing a breeding line has to be more satisfactory.
Stand by for some real "Babes"
Paul

Dear Leo
As a hybridiser I hate the thought of "forcing" a plant to be compact.
Developing a breeding line has to be more satisfactory.
Stand by for some real "Babes"
Paul

Hi Paul,
Point taken. It is easy to mis-understand the intent when talking about 'cross over' techniques from bonsai. Next time you get a chance, check out a public bonsai display. Note that the best trees are in phenomenally good health. These trees are healthy and vigorous. This is key. They would not make a good display if they were not vibrantly healthy. Yet most of these trees, by careful use of growing technique have leaf sizes reduced to 1/3 to 1/10th of the normal size. Healthy but dwarfed.

My intent is applying the techniques of good culture, but using the techniques to keep the plant more compact in order to create a more compact display. Radical dwarfing won't be possible, but improved compactness is very do-able. Healthy and attractive are the goal. If it is not attractive, it is not worth doing.

Beyond that - I am looking forward to the true genetic mini hybrids in the future. I love Paph helenae, though in of itself it is a bit monochromatic. I would love to see a bunch of Paph hybrids that size in a whole pallet of colors.

In the mean time - I ain't getting any younger, so rather than wait for the mini's to come out and USFWS to get CITES straight for the new species that need to be used. I am working with what I have. I have a 5 growth division of Paph Papyrus 'Maybrook' in a 3 inch diameter pot with 2 flower buds. Normally this plant would be in a 5 inch pot, but I am trying to grow it tight & compact. If the flowers bloom with at least average for the clone form and size - I will have succeeded. If the flowers are substandard for what 'Maybrook' can do, I'll repot it up to a larger pot, and stick it on the bench next to the other division of that clone. It is an experiment with technique that I am playing with while I wait for the true mini's. But hurry - I am feeling my mortality.;)

Latest posts

Back