Tropical Magic

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERY nice! I love the stately way it holds itself. Thank you for posting the picture. :)

Thanks guys! I feel like we need to give the credit to Ross, I just got the plant in Sept. from him & it was in bud! It certainly seems to show both parents. Personally I think I would like bolder spots ........
but then I'm back to henry! The improvement is a flatter dorsal & the flower is more open!

Thank you for the kind words, Rose. :) This cross has been fairly consistent. Your dorsal appears to be bigger than the average, but it has fewer spots than some. It's interesting to note that the spots tend to be smaller that those of henryanum, and they sometimes run in lines going north to south.

Ross - glad you chimed in! I'm curious, would you (or anyone else that does hybridizing) use this cross as a stepping stone? What direction would you go?

Rose,
It is very close to mine! The second flower has been open now for about 3 weeks.
With hybridizing, I actually tried to do a selfing on the 1st flower, but it didn't take. If I was going to breed with it, I would use something around the same size or smaller. A nice green & white Maudie.

Tom

Yeah feedback from Tom! OK Tom, so you'd breed to same size or smaller to keep the plant size, as that was a goal of Ross's. What are you trying to improve or change by adding a maudiae type to the flower?
Hope you guys don't mind the questions, this is a learning experience, I may want to give it a shot & Roy's got my worried about doing my homework!

With the maudiae it would increase the flower size,& flatten it out some & possibly lighten the color some more (green maudiae).If you used a dark maudiae or a flame maudiae you would make a darker flower with spots or stripes.

Tom

Most of those that have bloomed were first bloom seedlings that were sold in bud or bloom. I'm keeping a few to experiment with once they have a few growths. One bloomed for the second time a while back so I tried it as the pod parent for a cross that didn't take. It was kind of an "off the wall" sort of cross with a large old complex, Paph Cockade 'Chilton' HCC/AOS. Cockade has only 5 registered progeny in 48 years, so the likelihood of the cross working was low, but I liked the similar styles of the flowers
PaphCockadeChiltonplant-1.jpg

I may try a few more crosses as some of the plants mature and I am able to pick ones with better shape.

With the maudiae it would increase the flower size,& flatten it out some & possibly lighten the color some more (green maudiae).If you used a dark maudiae or a flame maudiae you would make a darker flower with spots or stripes.

Tom

Flame maudiae cross with henryanum have produced some nice flowers. Tom, have you seen what happens with a maudiae crossed to a cochlopetalum? I know cochlopetalums x standard complexes can yield some nice flowers, but have not seen any maudiae x cochlopetalums.

Another interesting note: Paph Tropical Magic was originated by Fox Valley Orchids.

Latest posts

Back