Transvaal

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bernhard Hilse

Hello slipper friends. Attached are two photos of my transvaal orchard.
The orchard still has to develop a fourth flower. The petal width is 18.5cm which to my knowledge is the biggest so far grown in Australia and the world record is 19.4cm and the second biggest is 18cm and both were grown in the USA. This plant came out of the flask in 1991 and it was propogated by Ken Smart in Beenleigh, Brisbane.
A friend of mine in Bowen told me florafest was selling some plants recently from this 1991 batch for $700 Australian.
Kind Regards, Bernhard

Attachments

• 100_0300_res.JPG
    100_0300_res.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_0301_res.JPG
    100_0301_res.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 57
Bernhard,
Very nice Transvaal. Tell me Bernhard, does the plant have any purple markings to the underside of the plant at all?

Candace, I was side-tracked by my 3yd old grandson.
Rick, you are right. On my Transvaal, where the flower shoots, the last leaf, 3 months before the actual flower shoots, is purple spotted. I have 2 Transvaal plants where I have small purple leaves but no flowers yet. After my calculation, in about 4/5 months I will have some more flowers on my Transvaals. I have another Transvaal just coming into flower which is actually purple and when I have some more flowers I will post the photo. Bernhard

I was asking about the color Bernhard because your flower has a strong resemblance to another roth X cochi crosses, Transdoll, I think the name of it is. Where liemianum is the other parent matted to roth. Generally the plants have purple markings at the base of the plant and verying degrees of mottling on the tops.
Great plant Bernhard. It's rare to have a Transvaal throw 4 flowers!

I was asking about the color Bernhard because your flower has a strong resemblance to another roth X cochi crosses, Transdoll, I think the name of it is. Where liemianum is the other parent matted to roth. Generally the plants have purple markings at the base of the plant and verying degrees of mottling on the tops.

Rick, I have a Transdoll (liemianum x roth), and the plant has no purple markinga at the base, although the leaves are faintly mottled on the upper surface...

Beautiful flowers with very intense colouration.
If you intend to bring it to your society for judging in this case 'orchard' would be a good cultivare's name. :D

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Amazing flowers! I think that is the largest Transvaal I have seen.

It's "orchid" not "orchard" ;> Very nice flower with great color and form.

You will be amazed how many people mix up those 2 words. We sometimes get calls here at work, and people ask if we have any Apple Trees for sale!! Number 1 we are listed as Orchids Limited and not Orchards Limited, and number 2 if we were an Orchard, we would be selling apples and not apple trees :rollhappy:

Robert

Amazing flowers! I think that is the largest Transvaal I have seen.
You will be amazed how many people mix up those 2 words. We sometimes get calls here at work, and people ask if we have any Apple Trees for sale!! Number 1 we are listed as Orchids Limited and not Orchards Limited, and number 2 if we were an Orchard, we would be selling apples and not apple trees :rollhappy:Robert
:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy: SAD but:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back