Tobacco Mosaic Virus in paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. Naoki do you have any technical info on this?

no, Chad, virus is an extremely cool organism, but I have only basic knowledge. I would guess that if it is under high heat, most vidi would be broken down in the smoke. I recently bought a book, but I haven't read it yet.

http://www.naktuinbouw.nl/en/form/form-viruses-orchids

Title: Viruses of Orchids: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Spread and Control
Authors: Narinobu Inouye, Koa Harvey, Harm Huttinga
Publisher: Blue Bird Publishers, 2008
ISBN: 9079598038, 9789079598038
Length: 176 pages

I bought the original Japanese version, but the link has English version. It seems to be much more detailed than the AOS booklet. Some of you might be interested in it.

There are multiple strains of TMV, and I wonder if Nicotiana can have orchid type.

Not so sure about second hand smoke transferring virus since it is burnt!

Also I am not sure if a smoker could inflect a plant just by touching the leaves as the virus needs to penetrate the cell wall on the surface of the plant.

A virus transmission would more likely to spread by insects and mites!

Some viruses need 500°C + to be destroyed… :poke::evil: bwahahaha

Now, I'd be more afraid of a smoker of cigars, cigarillos and the like or of people rolling their cigarettes and other uses of raw tobacco. Their big dirty fingers are directly in contact with tobacco unburnt.

In doubt there's an agdia test including TMV.:viking:

Agdia has a flashkit for TMV, valid for many but not all tobamoviruses (Cucumber green mottle mosaic virus (CGMMV), Kyuri green mottle mosaic virus, Odontoglossum rinspot virus (ORSV), Pepper mild mottle virus (PMMoV), Ribgrass mosaic virus (RMV), Streptocarpus flower break virus (SFBV), Sunhemp mosaic virus (SHMV), Tobacco mosaic virus including common strain (TMV and TMV-c), Tomato mosaic virus (ToMV).) If needed, I would ask Agdia if the TMV-O is detected specifically by this test.

Agdia has a test that tests for both CymMV and ORSV together, which I have used numerous times. TMV-O is the name used in previous years and in older literature for ORSV, which is now what it is referred as. This is explained in detail in the book How to Control Orchid Viruses, by Gail Wisler, and also in the book Orchid Pests and Diseases, published by the AOS. (This is the bad one that causes color break, so it is easy to see as long as the plant is not asymptomatic.)
I have read conflicting info regarding the actual TMV, non orchid strain and it's transmission.

ORSV has been found in dried tissue over 30 years old.

tobacco plant material in the form of dust is also all over the outside of the cigarette and filter...

From what I understand, if a person handle a cigarette and then handle plants he or she could transmit the virus. It is best not to smoke and wash the hands before handling plants just in case some of the virus could be in the cigarette. nasty habbit anyway.

tobacco plant material in the form of dust is also all over the outside of the cigarette and filter...

Just to be safe, I guess I'll have to ask if the vendors and their employees smoke at work next time I buy plants. hahaha

The shocking info, although not proven, is that comment about the house bleach.

I do not reuse old pots and just toss of course, but I have reused some decorative pots after washing it with house bleach. I'm freaking out!!!

In the end, pot plants under cultivation are exposed to virus issues at much greater degree compared to plants in the wild I would assume. All that handling...

While in the wild, plants just sit there and live without harm unless some bugs carrying virus come by and chew on them, or some virused plants fall on them by accident and thus damage them.

This is such a headache that sometimes makes me quit growing plants.

While in the wild, plants just sit there and live without harm unless some bugs carrying virus come by and chew on them, or some virused plants fall on them by accident and thus damage them.

If plants just sit there and live without harm then how did some plants get the virus and fall? :poke:

Wild plants are exposed to multitudes more pathogens and diseases than plants in cultivation. Thousands of insects pass over wild orchids, in a home collection or nursery there are relatively few insects.

And remember Tobacco Mosaic Virus is not something the tobacco companies invented it is a pathogen that exists in wild plants also.

But do we know if all of the vapors leaving a cigarette are combustion products? Couldn't they simply be vaporized at lower temperatures?

Yes! As a smoker inhales the hot air (smoke) is drawn through the cigarette and would vaporize some plant juices before they reach a sterilizing temperature and that could easily carry live virus air born.

Don't forget that both sites I have posted seem to be knowledgeable and serious sites, yet they have conflicting information about the bleach. One says it's not going to kill the virus, the other says to use 10% bleack. So I it's hard to tell which is true.

I would not worry if I was you, but maybe in the future just use heat as well as bleach!

Though, how common is this virus? I may have been lucky but I never saw this virus in plants sold around my area.

The shocking info, although not proven, is that comment about the house bleach.

I do not reuse old pots and just toss of course, but I have reused some decorative pots after washing it with house bleach. I'm freaking out!!!

This is such a headache that sometimes makes me quit growing plants.

Another good reason to quit smoking!

No orchid user should smoke!

Yes! As a smoker inhales the hot air (smoke) is drawn through the cigarette and would vaporize some plant juices before they reach a sterilizing temperature and that could easily carry live virus air born.

If plants just sit there and live without harm then how did some plants get the virus and fall? :poke:

Wild plants are exposed to multitudes more pathogens and diseases than plants in cultivation. Thousands of insects pass over wild orchids, in a home collection or nursery there are relatively few insects.

And remember Tobacco Mosaic Virus is not something the tobacco companies invented it is a pathogen that exists in wild plants also.

uh...that is exactly what I said in the quote you used.
You are talking about the first half of the quote I think.

Don't forget that both sites I have posted seem to be knowledgeable and serious sites, yet they have conflicting information about the bleach. One says it's not going to kill the virus, the other says to use 10% bleack. So I it's hard to tell which is true.

I would not worry if I was you, but maybe in the future just use heat as well as bleach!

Though, how common is this virus? I may have been lucky but I never saw this virus in plants sold around my area.

Confusing indeed.

The thing is that virused plants can be symptomless.

Agdia has a test that tests for both CymMV and ORSV together, which I have used numerous times. TMV-O is the name used in previous years and in older literature for ORSV, which is now what it is referred as. This is explained in detail in the book How to Control Orchid Viruses, by Gail Wisler, and also in the book Orchid Pests and Diseases, published by the AOS. (This is the bad one that causes color break, so it is easy to see as long as the plant is not asymptomatic.)
I have read conflicting info regarding the actual TMV, non orchid strain and it's transmission.

ORSV has been found in dried tissue over 30 years old.
The INRA book a use as reference does discriminate between TMV-O and ORSV (note I don't have it here, I'm on holidays) But it's a bit "old" (1998) but a state of things way more recent than the Wisler (1989). I should buy the AOS book btw.)

You're right on ORSV as the only one with a clear symptom, not definitive but seriously raising the mark on the bin solution. I take personally that a repetitive break is enough to trash. Twice is enough. :fight:

I guess that study says it all, bleach is effective in destroying the virus.

"Despite the detrimental effects (corrosion) on the blades, bleach
was one of the most effective treatments to reduce TMV transmission"

Very good to know, thanks for the link!

Here is an interesting study:
A.J. Hayes. 2008. GREENHOUSE SANITATION: EFFICACY OF DISINFECTANTS ON CUTTING BLADES USING TOBACCO MOSAIC VIRUS ON PETUNIA AS A
MODEL

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream...d=632E3380D9D6697B3890E2AD50AB39D8?sequence=1

Latest posts

Back