Tillandsias in August 2017

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually August is the month of flowering T. ionanthas with its flame red colouration and its blue flowertubes.......but even other Tillandsias attract with a lovely colouration.
Tillandsia bulbosa (Central America - Venezuela)

02880_17.08.30_tillandsia bulbosa.jpg

Tillandsia sprengeliana (Brazil endemic around Rio de Janeiro)

02888_17.08.30_tillandsia sprengeliana.jpg

Tillandsia kautskyi (endemic in the East of Brazil)

02895_17.08.30_tillandsia kautskyi.jpg

Very cool. Why don't I grow these?!

Dot, I've been growing Tillandsias for almost 35 years, but to be honest....it wasn't love at first sight. But now it's complete vice versa, many orchids came and went.....but Tillandsias always stayed with me. They are unexpensive, perfect side plants for orchids and easy to grow. I keep them outside on a rain protected place from end of April until the first nightfrost appears, that means in our region until October, somtimes until early November. During the winter period they hang in front of a south facing window an I spray them ca. 3 times a week.
To make you more appetite I will show few fotos more which I havn't shown here already before.

Tillandsia ionantha (Central America)

00831_11.09.03_tillandsia ionantha.jpg

and a slightly other clone of Till. ionantha....

00824_11.09.03_tillandsia ionantha.jpg

...and Till. ionantha 'hazelnut' which brought a friend from Mexico

00816_11.09.03_tillandsia ionantha hazelnut mex.jpg

Tillandsia argentina (nobody will guess where it comes from)

000832_11.09.03_tillandsia argentina.jpg

Tillandsia straminea (Ecuador and Peru)

02198_12.10.07_tillandsia straminea.jpg

02199_12.10.07_tillandsia straminea.jpg

T. straminea is nice -- fragrant too, at least some clones are.

I agree, I love my Tillandsias. I can't claim that I like them more than the slippers, but they're great plants nonetheless. Some of them are tough to impossible for me to bloom indoors, but if I take them out for the summer, that's usually enough for success.

I definitely appreciate things with definite spikes versus ionantha and its hybrids. You definitely have some cool species, though.

Latest posts

Back