Thought you'd get e kick from this...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the Susquehanna OS show last weekend, and we got a big "after church" surge on Sunday.

One woman came to me for advice. She said that she knows nothing about orchids, but has a single pink phal (gotten as a gift), and it is growing absolutely huge. One spike blooms and blooms and blooms, but the other 8 spikes simply will not.

She showed me a photo, and the thing must be 20" across, with some of the biggest, nice, flat blooms I've seen in a while. I recommended that she keep doing what she's been doing!

Oh yeah...those other 8 spikes were aerial roots, about 18" long and nicely staked straight up.

It's interesting how non-orchidists have no idea what roots are on orchids. They are used to terrestrials, and think they should cut off "those things."

wish there was a picture :), that must be a very happy plant! sometimes some people do things somewhat better before they 'know the right way to do it'.. sometimes I think things can get over thought and analyzed too much..

Perhaps, if she puts in a prayer request at church, those roots will send out buds. :evil:

maybe she is on to something....keeping the roots up keeps them from rotting.....after all, I think I have seen some phals strapped to tree fern slabs and their roots can grow up as well as down.

Latest posts

Back