The journey to Mars

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earth is going to be hit by an asteroid and everyone has to leave. Being an orchid collector your only worry is saving your plants ;). You pack them all up and drive to the escape ship. However there is a big problem. You are only allowed to bring one due to the lack of space. So which one would you bring and give images of the plant and flower if you have it.
Also the plant has a 100% survival rate on Mars.
Good luck and happy space travel

9485E58C-B2E4-4FDA-A6D3-D09D6BC04E68.jpeg
I would love to say that I would take a recently awarded Paph. Rothschildianum or a hybrid of such but I do not have any. Nor do I have a recently awarded Cattleya. So it would fall to my only award since I moved to Michigan 5 years ago. I thought that a few others were awardable but this one has an HCC of 76 points.
It is Paphiopedilum Mystically Contrasting. It is not a slipper with wonderful size or form but the judging team loved the really dark petals! I myself loved the dorsal.
But if I was leaving Earth forever, I might just stop and bring some Chinese take out. Dumplings and some Roast Pork Lo Mein. The heck with the orchid!🤪

Last edited:
View attachment 41555
I would love to say that I would take a recently awarded Paph. Rothschildianum or a hybrid of such but I do not have any. Nor do I have a recently awarded Cattleya. So it would fall to my only award since I moved to Michigan 5 years ago. I thought that a few others were awardable but this one has an HCC of 76 points.
It is Paphiopedilum Mystically Contrasting. It is not a slipper with wonderful size or form but the judging team loved the really dark petals! I myself loved the dorsal.
But if I was leaving Earth forever, I might just stop and bring some Chinese take out. Dumplings and some Roast Pork Lo Mein. The heck with the orchid!🤪
Omg that is hilarious!!! That paph is crazy looking and almost looks as if it was painted with tar, which is a cool thing. Thanks

This is like picking your favorite child. Damn! Well, I can narrow it down to two species: Paph micranthum and Phrag besseae. Sadly my best mic passed earlier this year but the Phrag is still with us.

Pic of Paph mic. ‘Dana Lynn’ RIP sadly

Tyler

Attachments

• A9875A0F-2585-4145-9B92-F56249B14918.jpeg
    A9875A0F-2585-4145-9B92-F56249B14918.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2
Argh! Talk about an impossible choice. I would have trouble just picking a favorite genus.
I mean really how to choose between a nice L. tenebrosa, C. purpurata, a fancy Dendrobium, a Lycaste or an Angraecum? Maybe I’ll just stay here.

if I had to go today I’d probably take my Angraecum arachnites. It even looks like it might belong on Mars.

20235367 Angraecum arachnites 'Evan Shively CCE-1.jpeg20235368 Angraecum arachnites 'Evan Shively FCC-1.jpeg20235368 Angraecum arachnites 'Evan Shively FCC-1.jpeg20235368 Angraecum arachnites 'Evan Shively FCC-1.jpeg

Argh! Talk about an impossible choice. I would have trouble just picking a favorite genus.
I mean really how to choose between a nice L. tenebrosa, C. purpurata, a fancy Dendrobium, a Lycaste or an Angraecum? Maybe I’ll just stay here.

if I had to go today I’d probably take my Angraecum arachnites. It even looks like it might belong on Mars.

View attachment 41596View attachment 41597View attachment 41597View attachment 41597
Well you can't take this because I'm going to steal it from you because I like it so much ;). That was a joke but I will definitely have to get this plant. Is it hard to grow and can it be potted or does it have to be mounted?

I have only grown it mounted. One could certainly try to pot but while it likes water I feel it needs to dry quickly. Also the growth habit (longish tepals and spur on shorter inflorescence length) might be difficult to manage. If hanging a mount is a problem you might try mounting on a long narrow piece of cork or stick and prop up in a pot.
I grow it in an unheated area (low of 40 F in winter) and in semi shade.
as I said I have only grown it mounted so others may have other advice.

From a practical view, I would ignore all my beautiful Paphs in exchange for bringing Vanilla planifolia.
I was going to say my Mexipedium (prolific and would probably like the climate okay?) but you are correct, vanilla would be an excellent choice. My variegated one is one of my favorite plants and also, the first orchid I bought that seems to have gotten me back to growing! My vanilla hasn’t bloomed yet. I broke the growing tip off accidentally a couple weeks ago. Hasn’t skipped a beat!IMG_6532.jpeg

I was going to say my Mexipedium (prolific and would probably like the climate okay?) but you are correct, vanilla would be an excellent choice. My variegated one is one of my favorite plants and also, the first orchid I bought that seems to have gotten me back to growing! My vanilla hasn’t bloomed yet. I broke the growing tip off accidentally a couple weeks ago. Hasn’t skipped a beat!View attachment 41975
How do you grow that mexipedium

Back