Ta Da ! Shade cloth soloution solved !

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Yay ! No more climbing on the roof ! Hubby utilized what was already there ..wood framing , chains (where I had orchids hanging years ago) and came up with the brilliant plan of having easily removed shade cloth panels.

They weigh nothing, being made from lightweight pvc pipe with the fabric clamped using pvc pipe also. They are numbered because each section measured a bit different. One end easily slides over the pvc tubing rail and the other is attached with the lightweight chain. You can see the difference they make in the picture with two attached. Now onto the lighting..he's experimenting with LED strip lighting.

Looking good! Do the 2x's block out too much morning sun? I've been contemplating a more permanent shade house for a while...

Looking good! Do the 2x's block out too much morning sun? I've been contemplating a more permanent shade house for a while...

It faces N., so not much if any "morning" sun , The sun comes from the back and then moves across , right to left in the summer. The front where the shelves are near the top ,and the middle to the right gets the most sun. Even if it did get E sun, the wood wouldn't block out enough to matter . I use shade cloth to cut down on heat more than light..

Excellent idea and one we used building my greenhouse in
order to make dead spaces between layers of greenhouse
plastic. I wonder how well this would work with Aluminet.

Gilda, I donno. I know leaving spaces between the plexi and greenhouse plastic gives my greenhouse much better
insulation than, say, glass or that other stuff. The purpose
of the Aluminet, I think, is to reflect sunlight and therefore,
heat. However, I don't know how that would work on the
inside.

I think aluminet is the only shade cloth that can reasonably be used inside the GH, although a white cloth would likely also be OK.

Latest posts

Back