surprises

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... the nice

last fall or so I stopped by al's orchids in leesburg, va. one of the plants I picked up was a phal philippinense seedling with a tiny spike and bud. al thought the bud might blast, but last week I was pleasantly surprised to see the bud had popped open! I love the colors of this species, and last I had it a number of years ago, the plant was so robust that the flower spikes would grow quickly right up into the fluorescent light bulbs and burn. nice little flower, hope plant keeps growing

phalphl315a.JPG

phalphl315b.JPG

If anyone has interest in phal philippinense, Ramon here (rdlsreno) has some nice seedlings for sale!

the not so nice .....

wreck315.JPG

last tuesday was driving home from work, sunny day, no hurry and other car came around corner fishtailing. i barely avoided head on but back end other car whipped around and caught left front of mine as i was trying to head onto grassy lawn

always make sure you have seatbelts on, are watching everything around you, and if someone is misbehaving, just get out of the way immediately. turns out southern new jersey has very high rates of uninsured and unlicensed drivers. there are lots of nurseries with transient workers and out of state license plates. this was not in a 'busy' or high volume area, and driver said he and two buddies were on way home from work. places you are most familiar with are the ones statistically to have the most accidents; people often have their guard down around home.

i'm fine, very fine considering, God was watching out for me (and maybe the three in the other car). if they hadn't caught part of my car they might have head on with a car behind me. just be always watchful because life changes very quickly!

Oh my. Glad you're alright. Hopefully that'll buff right out. :poke:

I agree with your advice on the crazy drivers. I live in a high traffic area, and I see a combination of people in a hurry doing astoundingly stupid maneuvers and clueless, distracted drivers simply not paying attention on a daily basis.

Glad you're ok. So the other vehicle was uninsured? Will your insurance go up as a result?

The phal flower is pretty, but just one leaf on the plant? I hope it's not a 'last gasp' flower.

thanks.
we won't know if they are insured until the police file their official report. i asked kindly a few times if they could pass along if there was insurance or not, but wouldn't budge. it wasn't my fault so shouldn't cause my insurance to go up, unless some funny decision by police stated it was my fault but i would be shocked for that to happen

there were two leaves when i bought the phal, but when i put it near a window the one leaf burned off (sigh)

Well crap! What a lousy ending to the day! As long as
you're in one piece, the car can be fixed. I hope the
guy had insurance.

Worry not about the Phal. phil. If the plant is happy, it
will put out new basal growth quickly. It's actually
a tough plant...and pretty too.

Oh my... glad you are OK.

Philippinense are lovely, aren't they? Mine has blasted a few buds, and has two flowers open now- they have something special!

I'm glad that you were ok and hope the other person was ok, too. Nice, P. philippinense, I didn't know that it can bloom in such a small plant.

Ty all, yes I was helped I believe. There were some odd things going on, hard to explain but I'm very grateful to have my health

And yes it is a tiny plant with a lovely flower. I used to be interested in all phal species, but that's changed though this is one species that I like very much

So sorry, and glad you are ok. You are probably looking for another vehicle.

Such a pretty flower. Maybe your should clip the flower off to save the plant?

Latest posts

Back