sulphate/polyhalit

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not aware of any plant that needs that much sulfur - most decent formulations have less that 0.1% - but used sparingly as a minor supplement to regular fertilizer, it probably can't hurt.

Sulphur is essential for plants, thiamine is one of the 20 aminoacids. Structural albumins, globulins or enzymes are built from aminoacids. Plant need sulphur, in form of solubile sulphate,not too much but esssential. Most fertilizers do not contain sulphate because ca and sulphate precipitate in water as useless caso4. Polyhalit is a soluble sulphate complex, contains ca, mg and a little k.

Both MSU and K-Lite contain copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, and zinc sulfate. I am assuming that Michigan State that developed/tested the MSU mixture tried to be sure there was adequate soluble sulfate, but I certainly don’t know the data.

Sulphur is essential for plants, thiamine is one of the 20 aminoacids. Structural albumins, globulins or enzymes are built from aminoacids. Plant need sulphur, in form of solubile sulphate,not too much but esssential. Most fertilizers do not contain sulphate because ca and sulphate precipitate in water as useless caso4. Polyhalit is a soluble sulphate complex, contains ca, mg and a little k.
Nobody can argue that sulfur isn't important. My point was that the demand likely does not require such a concentration.

As Terry stated, there are sulfates in some of our preferred formulas. They do not precipitate in solution due to the rate of dilution (i.e., of insufficient concentration to do so) and because citric acid is added to enhance the solubility. I make a concentrated, stock solution that enables me to make a 100 ppm N solution of K-Lite when diluted at a 1:64 rate, and even the concentrate is not prone to precipitation.

Latest posts

Back