Substrate testing, 6 months results...Lots of pictures

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday evening, I was in the greenhouse with my phone taking pictures in the dark, The results were so and so but will suffice I guess. If we compare the below picture taken yesterday with the one above taken Sept. 20, no much difference except that no-one have touched the plants obviously:evil:
September 20.
picture139j.jpg

Sept 22.
picture145e.jpg

Has it grown? or has it not:confused: Almost impossible to say from such pictures so, since I am a curious guy I found a marker and made these marks on the leaf. Now it will be easy to se the growth!:D
picture144u.jpg

This morning I was in the greenhouse again and checked up. The picture above was taken yesterday (22nd at 19.30) this morning at 06.30 the inspection showed perhaps 1mm growth. Its gonna be interesting to follow this further!:clap:

And how were the results? I would expect it not only to grow at the basis but also to some extent longer up, am I right? Most length-growth I would expect to appear at basis though.
There was a thread on this some years ago, but I cannot find it. Anyone that can?:confused:

Well.. marker cured one of my paranoias about plant not growing, and yes- further marks not at the base for later elongation (just a few small marks, with known distance between them.) The growth spurt was at the basis if i remember correctly.

Can you determine the pH of the drain water coming out of the pots?

You have a complex system that uses soft acidic water for base irrigation, but plenty of soil amendments that can raise pH and alkalinity.

This goes back to source of nitrogen for use, and your recent discovery that more ammonia based (from urea) greened things up for you.

If you have a low alkalinity system overall nitrates are favored, but with higher alkalinity the shift goes to ammonia.

I would suspect soil bacteria for converting urea to ammonia are very happy in this mix.

Unless growth of the mother growth stops after the development of new shoots, then I would not be too excited about new shoots on small plants. However, I have seen basal growths start up after some type of crown damage (often a rot) to the mother growth.

If you are seeing rots you may consider further reducing your exposure to potassium.

Other wise I think these plants look pretty good:wink:

It is possible to do a pH measurement of the water, but I have not done it. Should check my pH meters and get new buffers before doing that though, since I have not used them for a long time. It may not be easy to get a representative pH reading though, if ground dolomite does react with the water. Simply bescause the lowii with the floppy leaf has not had lime etc in the mix nor as top-dress:D The sandie on the other hand is loaded with the stuff:D:D So which to choose? Perhaps all? it would be quite interesting to see if there are differences or if all pH end up at 6.8-7.0? Cannot promise anything but perhaps I will have the opportunity to check it soon. I am very busy the next two weeks so....;) You might be right with the bacteria, and since I have seen a lot of mycelium, perhaps that contributes as well?

Where are you BTW Bjorn?

Really basic things like light levels and day length could also be a factor, and we were so focused on nutrition and potting mix chemistry.

Are you in Norway? It's dark there for months on end:poke::poke: No wonder your plants are crazy:poke::poke:

yeah, light might be different, just now its like you had it, but during summer daylight is longer and during winter, well; I have these HPS giving some 1500fc so its up to me (in practice some 11hours day) If the electricity bill permits;)
About the crazy plants, I think I do things differently, thats why.:D
I do however think that you are into something with your "potassium-crusade":poke:

Grow-speed update

Checking after 48 hours gave this result:D
Growth seems to be around 2mm/day. The picture was taken on Sept 24, i.e. 2 days ago, and a check this morning shows that growth seems to continue at similar pace. Now the extension is around 10mm. Thats it. Floppy growth probably due to rapid growing q.e.d.:rollhappy:
picture160c.jpg

An update October 1st: 15mm growth
copyofpicture003.jpg
[/

And another one from yesterday Oct. 10. approx 30mm This is an average of 1.66mm/day! for 18 days! WOW:drool:
picture038jy.jpg

Note that the limpness is about to disappear, the leaf starts to raise now. Actually there is another leaf coming as well. Also note the development of the side-shoot.
For Rick, please note that this one is in a home-made wire basket, its visible on the last picture!:rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back