Standard Complex x Simultaneous Multis - Any Successes?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if there have been any decent crosses between standard complex paphs and simultaneous multiflorals. I know the crosses have been made and bloomed, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a picture of one.

Does anyone happen to know?

--Stephen

The odd one or two have shown promise but the record suggests that this line of breeding is a waste of time and money, to me anyway. The odds of getting anything decent is too great. Then of course, many growers like most flowers, depends on your taste.

Some Heaven's Gate were nice. Generally they are duds and they can be hard to bloom

Actually the first day I worked here at Orchids Limited I made a Complex by multifloral cross. I crossed Paph. Via Victoria (a complex green) with Paph. haynaldianum album. Now that I know more about Paph breeding I probably would never make that kind of cross, but it actually turned out a lot nicer than I thought.

I named it Paph. Double Victory (as each flower spike always had 2 flowers):

PaphViaVictoriaxhaynaldianumalbum11.jpg

PaphViaVictoriaxhaynaldianumalbu-1.jpg

Robert

I like the crazy crosses! :D BTW isn't a complex crossed to a multi = a complex!?

Yes, in theory you are correct, but when I talk about a "complex" (just say the word "complex") I always refer to a "Bulldog" type cross (Like Paph. Winston Churchill). In all other cases when it is a "complex" cross (Not a primary, or has more than 3 species in it's background) I refer to them as complex Brachy, complex multifloral or complex Parvi etc. The picture I posted above I would refer to as a complex novelty type cross.

Robert

Robert,

Have you tried to breed Paph. Double Victory?

Just wondering if there's also a fertility problem with standard complex X simultaneous multi crosses?

charlie c

Robert,

Have you tried to breed Paph. Double Victory?

Just wondering if there's also a fertility problem with standard complex X simultaneous multi crosses?

charlie c

No, I have not tried breeding with it yet. I am guessing that it is probably sterile, but who knows? If it is fertile, maybe this plant can lead to multifloral bulldog types. I have noticed that now these plants are more mature they get up to 3 flowers per stem. Can you imagine 3 Winston Churchill type flowers on a stem? We do have a rothschildianum x Complex Cross, that I have tried to breed with, but that one was sterile. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

When this type of cross is made, are there a lot of deformed blooms?

Actually all plants were pretty uniform and consistent, and more or less looked like the picture posted. So, no there were no deformed flowers.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this type of breeding.

Do you think using one of the supposedly 4N multi cultivars ( like a stonei whose name I can't recall at the moment) mated to a 4N Bulldog would increase your chances of producing fertile offspring? Or do you think this is just a compatibility problem?

In an event, good luck. And, yes indeed, when you succeed in getting 3 Winston Churchill type flowers on a stem I'll be beating a path to your door.

charlie c

Robert,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this type of breeding.

Do you think using one of the supposedly 4N multi cultivars ( like a stonei whose name I can't recall at the moment) mated to a 4N Bulldog would increase your chances of producing fertile offspring? Or do you think this is just a compatibility problem?

In an event, good luck. And, yes indeed, when you succeed in getting 3 Winston Churchill type flowers on a stem I'll be beating a path to your door.

charlie c

Yes, I think if you would use a 4N multifloral, and cross it to a known 4N Complex Bulldog type, that yes that will increase your odds of producing fertile offspring.

I think Klehm's made some complex x haynaldianum crosses...and named one of them Toll Booth...I think it was Winston Churchill x haynaldianum....

Ron Hawley is bad, it would be better if there were multiple flowers. The single flower is OK but Telsis is an awfully nice red & IMO nothing was improved upon. As Eric said - don't lose that tag!

Latest posts

Back