1. Good day. If you cannot log in please use the CONTACT US at the bottom of the page to get help. If you are logged in and do not want the ads, please click on the Little Person icon to get user control panel. At the bottom of Preferences is the opt out area used to turn them off. Remember to save changes. More information in the Talk Back! Forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Standard Complex x Simultaneous Multis - Any Successes?

Discussion in 'Breeding & Production' started by silence882, Mar 8, 2009.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1

silence882

silence882

silence882

Lurker ST Supporter

Hey all,

I was wondering if there have been any decent crosses between standard complex paphs and simultaneous multiflorals. I know the crosses have been made and bloomed, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a picture of one.

Does anyone happen to know?

--Stephen

2. Mar 8, 2009 #2

paphreek

paphreek

paphreek

Vendor

3. Mar 8, 2009 #3

Roy

Roy

Roy

The odd one or two have shown promise but the record suggests that this line of breeding is a waste of time and money, to me anyway. The odds of getting anything decent is too great. Then of course, many growers like most flowers, depends on your taste.

4. Mar 8, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the link Ross! There are some that came out better than I expected! The color on the Orchilla x sand is nice but .......
    as Roy would say 'dice it'!

5. Mar 8, 2009 #5

Hera

Hera

Hera

I love the villosum x niveum.

6. Mar 8, 2009 #6

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

Some Heaven's Gate were nice. Generally they are duds and they can be hard to bloom

7. Mar 9, 2009 #7

silence882

silence882

silence882

Lurker ST Supporter

Thanks for the info! It's nice to know at least a couple have been made and turned out alright.

--Stephen

8. Mar 9, 2009 #8
    Actually the first day I worked here at Orchids Limited I made a Complex by multifloral cross. I crossed Paph. Via Victoria (a complex green) with Paph. haynaldianum album. Now that I know more about Paph breeding I probably would never make that kind of cross, but it actually turned out a lot nicer than I thought.

I named it Paph. Double Victory (as each flower spike always had 2 flowers):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert

9. Mar 9, 2009 #9

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

I like the crazy crosses! :D BTW isn't a complex crossed to a multi = a complex!?

10. Mar 9, 2009 #10
    Yes, in theory you are correct, but when I talk about a "complex" (just say the word "complex") I always refer to a "Bulldog" type cross (Like Paph. Winston Churchill). In all other cases when it is a "complex" cross (Not a primary, or has more than 3 species in it's background) I refer to them as complex Brachy, complex multifloral or complex Parvi etc. The picture I posted above I would refer to as a complex novelty type cross.

Robert

11. Mar 9, 2009 #11
    Robert,

Have you tried to breed Paph. Double Victory?

Just wondering if there's also a fertility problem with standard complex X simultaneous multi crosses?

charlie c

12. Mar 9, 2009 #12

silence882

silence882

silence882

Lurker ST Supporter

When this type of cross is made, are there a lot of deformed blooms?

13. Mar 9, 2009 #13

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

Addicted

One can certainly see haynaldianum, album, in Robert's cross!

14. Mar 10, 2009 #14
    No, I have not tried breeding with it yet. I am guessing that it is probably sterile, but who knows? If it is fertile, maybe this plant can lead to multifloral bulldog types. I have noticed that now these plants are more mature they get up to 3 flowers per stem. Can you imagine 3 Winston Churchill type flowers on a stem? We do have a rothschildianum x Complex Cross, that I have tried to breed with, but that one was sterile. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

Actually all plants were pretty uniform and consistent, and more or less looked like the picture posted. So, no there were no deformed flowers.

Robert

15. Mar 10, 2009 #15
    I found it; It is Paph. Ron Hawley (rothschildianum x Telesis):

[​IMG]

Robert

16. Mar 10, 2009 #16
    Robert,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this type of breeding.

Do you think using one of the supposedly 4N multi cultivars ( like a stonei whose name I can't recall at the moment) mated to a 4N Bulldog would increase your chances of producing fertile offspring? Or do you think this is just a compatibility problem?

In an event, good luck. And, yes indeed, when you succeed in getting 3 Winston Churchill type flowers on a stem I'll be beating a path to your door.

charlie c

17. Mar 10, 2009 #17

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

When I look at the photo I can only think, "I hope they don't lose the tags!"!!

18. Mar 10, 2009 #18
    Yes, I think if you would use a 4N multifloral, and cross it to a known 4N Complex Bulldog type, that yes that will increase your odds of producing fertile offspring.

19. Mar 11, 2009 #19
    I think Klehm's made some complex x haynaldianum crosses...and named one of them Toll Booth...I think it was Winston Churchill x haynaldianum....

20. Mar 11, 2009 #20
    Ron Hawley is bad, it would be better if there were multiple flowers. The single flower is OK but Telsis is an awfully nice red & IMO nothing was improved upon. As Eric said - don't lose that tag!