Someone's been getting frisky with my plants...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paph_LdyMacBeth

While cleaning up my plants for winter I noticed a few bulbo's and masdevallias with pods! :eek:
These were not of my doing so someone has been visiting my plants and pollinating:crazy: them!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ha ha ha
Try explaining that to the children.

Even though it would be really neat to flask I won't be doing that for precisely that reason.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

On rare occasion I get "spontaneous" pod development in bulbos and pleurothalids. No pollen transfer observed to the stigma, but still pod development.

sometimes the seed is no good, but sometimes it is viable.

In these cases the stigmatic surface is way to far gone to inspect for pollen acquisition, so they may have been infiltrated:evil:

My parents have various bulbo's in their GH and there are some that tend to self polinate.

It's unfortunate that it takes such a long time and considerable dedication and cost to raise orchid seedlings. Otherwise, it'd be interesting to see what you get; but, is it worth if when you don't know who is the pollen parent?

I've got a Paph. dayanum that bloomed last spring. One day after it was open for a few weeks, I found a hoverfly stuck at the exit on the left side of the pouch. It kept backing up and trying again and again, on both sides of the staminode. It eventually died in the pouch, as it was just to big to get through the exit. However, because it kept backing up and trying again and again, I realized that it would be spreading the flower's own pollen on it's stigma. Sure enough, when the flower finally faded, it produced a big, fat capsule. I'm going to have this flasked because I do know the capsule is carrying seeds from a selfing. It's also kind of neat to know that the capsule was made by a traped insect, just like the flower is designed to have happen.

Latest posts

Back