Size a problem????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
I've flowered this one for the 3rd time now thinking it will get bigger like the plant does. It doesn't, it has been the same every flowering. The NS of the flower is 75mm ( 3 inches ) The stem gets to about 20 cm ( 8 inch ).
I bought it as P. robinsonii x sukhakulii = P. Quinault. I know rob' is known now as a bullenianum and that cross is registered by another name.
Any thoughts on whats going on and the size problem???
index_001-13.jpg

That's a cute little flower. Neither parent is that small so I don't know why.

Try a gob of bone meal, and see what it does.??

P.hainanense (which could be easily confused with anything else in the appletonium complex) tends to have a small flower, but I would think a good suk would bring the size back up.

That's a cute little flower. Neither parent is that small so I don't know why.
Try a gob of bone meal, and see what it does.??

Rick, I'll try the bone meal and see what happens, can't hurt.
If it stays this size it might be nice to use with P. helenae or barbigerum ??? which I could do. ( in a year or 2 )

It could be the parentage. bullenianum is not a large flower...3" sounds about right, and I have had them bloom smaller ("linii" and "celebesense"). While sukhakhulii is usually a large flower, I have bloomed some very small ones...larger than 3", but not by much. I think yours is at the right size....and should definitely be interesting to breed with helenae, barbigerum, how about henryanum? Take care, Eric

It could be the parentage. bullenianum is not a large flower...3" sounds about right, and I have had them bloom smaller ("linii" and "celebesense"). While sukhakhulii is usually a large flower, I have bloomed some very small ones...larger than 3", but not by much. I think yours is at the right size....and should definitely be interesting to breed with helenae, barbigerum, how about henryanum? Take care, Eric

Thanks Eric M, you may have answered the question. I thought about henryanum but I think henryanum is too dominant whereas the others may accept some of the features from this plant.

Latest posts

Back