• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sign of the Times

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did it take this long to get on ebay? I wouldn't be surprised a bit if there were not a couple on sale at OrchidExpo.

$1000? Its hideous! I wouldn't pay $1. And just which hideous qualities would you want to inflict on future hybrids? This one could have stayed in the jungle far as I'm concerned.

Bet you the price climbs over $2K.

Ahhh... Unless I'm missing something, this isn't an auction. The plants are $110. No bidding.

I just wonder how a newly discovered species can get to USA??? Where is the CITES enforcer??? I know that we will never get new specie into Australia. So the CITES enforcers as described in Orchids Fever are just opportunists backed by machine guns ?? Where is Cribb and his loyal henchmen???

These companies from China send plants un-inspected, in plain boxes, with no statements about contents. Any bills inside will not mention plants. While most of their packages get through, some get confiscated by customs. Most of these Chinese companies have statements saying that they are not responsible for confiscated packages. One of those sellers, Chinesegreen, used to be on Slippertalk.

This is really sad! Not that the species in question is desirable to most of us, but how flagrantly this seller is operating! Somehow, I expect a bit more secrecy from an illegal activity!

These companies from China send plants un-inspected, in plain boxes, with no statements about contents. Any bills inside will not mention plants. While most of their packages get through, some get confiscated by customs. Most of these Chinese companies have statements saying that they are not responsible for confiscated packages. One of those sellers, Chinesegreen, used to be on Slippertalk.

Well. well, well, that is a very laxed custom. Good luck to you. But canhii is from Vietnam. Do vietnamese companies do the same???
That is why Australia is well behind by 1 or 2 generations (6-10 years) in hybridising, compared to Taiwan, Japan, Europe and (USA???) who had their materials (new species) well in advance of other countries. We get our new materials in flasks. Even in flasks, our custom officers here are tough. A slight discoloring in a leaf and the flask would be condemned "to be destroyed".

From the Ebay offer: "Grew up in imitation of natural-style orchid plantations."

I love that term.

Howzat,
"Even in flasks, our custom officers here are tough."
Not sure, what you mean by "tough". For being strict, they should have expertise and knowledge. For being rough, they just need a uniform.

From the Ebay offer: "Grew up in imitation of natural-style orchid plantations."

I love that term.

Howzat,
"Even in flasks, our custom officers here are tough."
Not sure, what you mean by "tough". For being strict, they should have expertise and knowledge. For being rough, they just need a uniform.

Last week I had 6 flasks confiscated because the top half of just one leaf in the flask is brown. And they said it is showing disease. Originally they gave me 2 options, send it back or destroyed. As I said to their senior plant pathologist that if there is fungal/bacterial disease, then it will show first on the agar media. I don't think it is viral, even if there is virus attack, it will show as streak on the leaf. He said I had a point made, but still asked me to take it to a quarantine station to be deflasked and grown for 3 months, which will cost a lot. Anyway I took the third option. That came to your last quote, because I think they don't have the expertise.

Latest posts

Back