shore orchid festival -- july 23, 24 & 25 -- @ silva orchids -- neptune, nj

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mindbum

We are pleased to announce the first annual
Shore Orchid Festival
to be held here at Silva Orchids
on July 23, 24 and 25, 2010.

http://silvaorchids.com

This event will feature twenty orchid vendors, with vendors coming from as far away as Japan. Please be sure to check out our vendor directory below for a complete list of participating sellers. The event will also feature workshops and lectures, covering a wide range of topics for both the novice and the advanced grower/collector. Schedule of lectures is being firmed up, and will be put onto this page in short order. A full line of orchids supplies will be sold at this event. There will be food vendors on site, selling everything from sandwiches, wraps and salads to ice cream and beverages. Chocolatier, Peter Jost will offer mouth watering treats for all. We wish to make this a fun orchid event for everyone, you will be able to shop for orchids, visit with friends, old and new, enjoy good food and fun and have a great summer day or weekend at the Jersey Shore. Please feel free to contact us about hotel or Bed and Breakfast accommodations.

Note: keep in mind we are located 5 miles from the Jersey Shore, so now is the time to make any hotel, bed and breakfast, ect. reservations as July is the peak season.

Orchid Vendors:

Andy’s Orchids
Arcadia Glass House
Blue Moon Pottery
Brennan’s Orchids
Cal-Orchid, Inc.
Canaima Orchids
Celebrate Orchids! LLC
Fishing Creek Orchids
J&L Orchids
Little Brook Orchids
Main Street Orchids
Oak Hill Gardens
OrchidPhile
Parkside Orchid Nursery
Piping Rock Orchids
Silva Orchids
Stony Brook Orchids
Suwada Orchid Nursery
Waldor Orchids
Woodstream Orchids

Less than 30miles now, maybe I'll petal my bike to this one...

Beware of shore traffic on the GSParkway.
Using Rt. 9 and Rt. 18 from Sayreville and Eatontown is a great alternative.

GSParkway south, mile 113- lots of radar here.

Following along the normal procedure here at the Phillips house we left bright and early at 5:45 A.M. in order to arrive before the gates opened. I had pre-ordered from Parkside as well as Woodstream Orchids. Upon arrival we took a quick look around looking for the best paphs. I found one hangianum x niveum in flower and labeled as such. Glen, had a couple of plants in bud with one of the parents as emersoni 'hanger'. I believe it was malipenense x emersonii 'hanger'. Sorry guys I just can't seem to remember what the proper names of these crosses are. And no it's not Mem. Larry Heuer even though that is what the label said. Sumanda Orchids had a few paph. complex seedling for sale. The cross that looked the best to me was Paph. Kimberley Szabo 'Papa Aroha' HCC/AOS x Pandemonium 'Nitro' BM/JOGA. These were seedlings selling for $30 each. I took two of those. Upon getting home and trying to take the paper off the top of the pot one of the plants came right out. It only had a few short roots but they were not rotted. So I unpotted the other one, which had fine roots. Even knowing this, I would buy them again.

The worst part of the trip for me was Silva Orchids. I had been warned before going there that no matter what plant you pick up and ask the price on, well, that's the best one the have and it cost this. I found one full plant of a cross and asked the fatal question. Naturally, it had belonged to the owner in their private collection is but they might sell is at not a high price but a fair price. Least that is what they said. After asking how much about 4 times one of the owner said he'd let it go for $100. Now, mind you this is not if flower or even bud, nor awarded, just a plant with many growths in the pot. Truthfully, nothing turns me off faster then someone trying to give me some store in order to get me to buy something. We then left the greenhouse and went back to the 15 or so vendors that were there. If anyone else goes I'd appreciate it if you pick up a nice full pot of any paph. cross that is not marked and ask for I price. It would be interesting to here the results.

I had only asked Woodstream to bring me one divisions. However I left with 3 divisions, plus to seedlings and one mini flask from them. They had a really full flask of one of their paph. fairrianum. I passed on that as I here they may be difficult to grow from flask. Least for me!

I hope that others of you go and report your results.

Last edited:
Went to the Silva Shore fest today:
Glen -Piping Rock - has some new Pk hybrids and lots of good paphs
P7240688.jpg

Silva GH
P7240687.jpg

Marguarite - J&L
P7240685.jpg

I have to look it up - Brennan's
P7240681.jpg

Steve-Fishing Creek Orchids (see later post)
P7240679.jpg

Greg-Oak Hill Gardens-cool species $4-$6/pot, EOrchids going crazy on the right.
P7240678.jpg

Stony Brook Orchids
P7240677.jpg

Suwada from Japan
P7240675.jpg

Waldor-Cool Cattrs and a nice stanhopea
P7240676.jpg

Lauris-Cal Orchids - has sobralias and good prices
P7240674.jpg

Parkside - lots of inexpensive paphs and pleuros
P7240673.jpg

STF'rs Clarke and Chrissy w/ African Violets
P7240671.jpg

Sorry I didn't go to Cainamano-they do catt and laelia species.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back