saving pollen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mjehughes

Hi, have this nice (I think) green paph - paph somer isles "green bird" x
philippensnse var album "charming" - I think I would need to cross this to an alba form of something, and dont' have any albas.. is it worth saving the pollen, what would you cross it with ? and how do I save the pollen for if
I get an album flower to try..

Attachments

• paph somer isles x phillipenense alba.jpg
    paph somer isles x phillipenense alba.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 24
I have the same plant, with three flowers on a single spike this year. And I plan on doing the same thing. I am saving pollen, and fertilizing all three of the flowers. But you can't tell ntil you do it. Save the pollen, and use it all.

How do you save the pollen?? and what do you plan on using it on..
I have another plant that has a philippense alba parent, but flowers are
not "green" sort of dull ,, do you want to stay with alba types with this
type of cross?

I se wax paper, as pollen on paper tends to dry out. Parchement paper (the kind for baking) also works exceptionally well. Neither seem to accept inks, so I fold the piece of paper with the polen in it, then slip that into a small plastic bag with a label. I have seen some store pollen in small plastic sample tubes, which also works well, and does not deform the pollen

minda perhaps you and brian should cross the two together. even though they are hybrids and you will have a lot of dogs/variation, you will certainly also get some decent ones. if you dont have an alba form of something to put it on, either save the pollen until you do or send it to somebody to use on theirs.
i save pollen from paphs by removing the entire mass from each anther using a clean toothpick and putting it into the inside of those clear empty vitamin "sleeves" --(they are like clear, empty pills). then you can just put them into a labeled baggy and store them in the fridge. be sure to remove just the pollen from the whole glob, its best not to store the pollen with that small "dish" attached as it is much different chemically and susceptible to breaking down and potentially compromising the pollen.
good luck!

Latest posts

Back