Sacoila lanceolata var. lanceolata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Common name is Leafless Beaked Ladies' Tresses.

N.S. of 1.5cm, with lateral tepal length of 2.7cm. 17" tall from the sand surface, in a 6" pot. Hairy!

Lovely flowers. Where'd you come across this baby? The only place I've seen them were on roadsides in Florida. Easy to grow?

Got it in a trade with a hobby breeder growing them from seed. It's been very easy to grow for me, so far. I've had it a number of years now, and I've just kept it potted in the same exact sand I received it in. I'm worried that if I ever repot it, it won't like whatever sand I find to put it in!

:clap: So unique! :clap: Cool! :drool:
How long do flowers last? I'm assuming it has a dormancy?

I've had it a number of years now, and I've just kept it potted in the same ex]Got it in a trade with a hobby breeder growing them from seed. It's been very easy to grow for me, so far. act sand I received it in. I'm worried that if I ever repot it, it won't like whatever sand I find to put it in!

I can understand your reluctance to move it. I too am very loath to disturb any terrestrial orchid once established except for Bletilla! Just make sure to keep the roots dirty during the move in case they are carrying beneficial fungi with them. Lucky you getting one of these in a trade!

:clap: So unique! :clap: Cool! :drool:
How long do flowers last? I'm assuming it has a dormancy?

Not quite sure how long they last. A couple weeks?

Yes—loses its leaves in early winter and develops the spike soon thereafter. It'll leaf out again when the flowers fade.

I can understand your reluctance to move it. I too am very loath to disturb any terrestrial orchid once established except for Bletilla! Just make sure to keep the roots dirty during the move in case they are carrying beneficial fungi with them. Lucky you getting one of these in a trade!

When I do repot it, I'll actually probably just pot it up, retaining the sand that's in there. Normally, I couldn't really do this, as the potting medium would get muddy, rotten, and nutrient-depleted. But this one is really quite literally potted in sand, so it can't rot, and it's already nutrient-depleted!

Hi Sue

Do your plants ever set seed? or you set seed on them? I would love to try to flask it.

Stunning plant. I got some seed from the OSP, but no luck with germination on that.

Good growing and I hope it continues to thrive for you.

Brett

Last edited:
Very beautiful!!! Looks like a saprophytic plant... hehe! (obviously it is not)

But this one is really quite literally potted in sand, so it can't rot, and it's already nutrient-depleted!

I can believe it based on the habitats I saw in Florida - deep sand! It would be worth pollinating and free sowing them (except for the seed you trade to Brett :p) to see if it is as free germinating as its sister genus, Spiranthes.

Latest posts

Back