Rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a plant I'm truely pleased with the outcome of and I have no specific death wish for it. The new growth that is present has substantially developed during the emergence of the now blooming flower spike and continues to develop well and the pot is full of very live, active roots. In any case, after a few more friends see it in the flesh, I'm turning its blossoms into an arrangement for a friend whose birthday is this weekend.

Ken Brewer

My roth's first blooming was with 1 adult growth and 2 young growths. I left the flowers, and even bred the plant. I now have a compot of seedlings and a 7+ growth plant about to throw 2 spikes. So I don't think its a death wish to leave a roth in full bloom on a single growth. It sounds like yours has allot of momentum right now, so I'd just enjoy it. It's a beauty Ken:clap::clap:

Actually I don't know if it takes allot of energy out of a plant to maintain a flower spike once its fully open. It seems like most of the energy went into producing the spike in the first place, and after that its just coasting until pollination or senescence.

Actually I don't know if it takes allot of energy out of a plant to maintain a flower spike once its fully open. It seems like most of the energy went into producing the spike in the first place, and after that its just coasting until pollination or senescence.

I've often wondered about that. What you say does make sense. It seems to be the convention to cut the flowers off straight away. That is what I have always been told. I guess as the multis flower into summer and I have a short growing season as I live in a temperate climate, I like to see the small new growths get a bit of a move on before the cold weather sets in.

David

Latest posts

Back