Rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Inverness

Here is Green Valley x Fly Eagle blooming for the first time. Natural spread 10.25 inches. Grown under HID lighting in semi-hydro. I'm happy with the results.

Ken Brewer

Attachments

• IMG_1164 c.JPG
    IMG_1164 c.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1165 c.JPG
    IMG_1165 c.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1166 c.JPG
    IMG_1166 c.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 123
:clap: :drool: I'd be happy with that too! :drool: :clap:
The plant size looks to be somewhat compact? Is this from Sam?

Plant was purchased from Wickford Orchids, I'd agree it's pretty compact. It is the single growth flowering with a new shoot starting.

Ken Brewer

omg, these must have been great moments watching the large pretty blooms open!!!! I am still waiting for this to happen sometime in the future :eek::eek:! Jean

I am impressed with the size of your plants and flowers in their amount of Paphiopedilum

That is a spectacular, quality flower for such a small plant. When that is5 or 6 growths, the flower size and quality will be even better. You really lucked out!

Very nice.. :) Got a question, though: Is it advisable to let multis, esp roth to bloom on a single growth? Will producing more than 1 flower stress the plant that it refuses to produce new growth and dies? I'm asking this because I've heard from a few growers that it is better to cut away the first spike of any paph and only let it bloom on the next flowering... TIA

Thanks to all for your very nice comments! Does anyone know what firm produced this cross (Green Valley x Fly Eagle)? I was told it was In Charm. Thanks.

Ken Brewer

Very nice.. :) Got a question, though: Is it advisable to let multis, esp roth to bloom on a single growth? Will producing more than 1 flower stress the plant that it refuses to produce new growth and dies? I'm asking this because I've heard from a few growers that it is better to cut away the first spike of any paph and only let it bloom on the next flowering... TIA
I think we've all heard that somewhere along the way but how many of us actually do it? I guess it depends on the individual plant (and the fact that it cost $$). I look at it this way - if this plant were in the wild, who'd be snipping the first bloom? If it stresses the plant & it dies, does it have the vigor that I want or need? Survival of the fitest?!

Goldenrose - I tend to agree with your line of logic, if a plant has issues with survivability under my care regime, I'm not looking for additional ways to make it work. I'm intrigued with odontoglossum crispum hybrids, masdevillas, and draculas; but they aren't a good fit for my grow space and approach to their care. The only thing left of any I've purchased are memories.

Ken Brewer

I think we've all heard that somewhere along the way but how many of us actually do it? I guess it depends on the individual plant (and the fact that it cost $$). I look at it this way - if this plant were in the wild, who'd be snipping the first bloom? If it stresses the plant & it dies, does it have the vigor that I want or need? Survival of the fitest?!

For first bloomers, I allow the flowers to develop but cut them off staight away once they have opened. I believe roths in particular are very susceptible to dying after first flowering on a single growth plant.

David

That was my thought after seeing a single growth. Those are stunning flowers...if it were my plant I would be tempted to but the stem now so that the plant can put it's energy into the new growth. And yes I have done that with my own plants; it's tough but I'm sure in some cases it has saved the plant undue stress.

This is a plant I'm truely pleased with the outcome of and I have no specific death wish for it. The new growth that is present has substantially developed during the emergence of the now blooming flower spike and continues to develop well and the pot is full of very live, active roots. In any case, after a few more friends see it in the flesh, I'm turning its blossoms into an arrangement for a friend whose birthday is this weekend.

Ken Brewer

Latest posts

Back