Rose pogonia on new YouTube channel cnycharles

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m starting to upload all of my native orchid trip videos to my channel cnycharles on YouTube. It shows all of the orchids in situ including all of the surroundings. Earlier videos with my iPhone 4 are very jumpy though later phones have image stabilization, and it can be difficult to focus on tiny things but if you want to see how they grow, you can see exactly

Enjoy! (I hope). This is one video, more will be on the channel and more uploaded soon

Regards,
Charles

https://youtu.be/77qXhLPrOxs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this YouTube video supposed to be rose pogonia? It looks like dames rocket to me, but being a 58°F day here in Mich. on Feb. 27 it does get me thinking of spring. The only rose pogonia I have found here in MI was on a quaking bog fairly close to open water. The bog was permiable enough that when I set up to photograph them the water was only over the soles of my hiking boots. By the time I was done it was coming in over the tops. A few feet away was Calopogon sp. Also on the same quaking bog, but in a different season, are Spiranthes sp.

Is this YouTube video supposed to be rose pogonia? It looks like dames rocket to me, but being a 58°F day here in Mich. on Feb. 27 it does get me thinking of spring. The only rose pogonia I have found here in MI was on a quaking bog fairly close to open water. The bog was permiable enough that when I set up to photograph them the water was only over the soles of my hiking boots. By the time I was done it was coming in over the tops. A few feet away was Calopogon sp. Also on the same quaking bog, but in a different season, are Spiranthes sp.

Doh! You are right. The link was to ‘spring flowers’. I was intending to post a link to the one with a rose pogonia and butterfly on it, which is on the channel page also
Rose pogonia can be common in upstate ny, often with grass pinks and often white fringed orchids, again often with the same conditions you described. Can be difficult to photograph when feet and tripod never are still and sinking :)

This should be the rose pogonia and butterfly

https://youtu.be/dajG54SGbnc

Now that we have the right video this does remind me of the drier part of our bog but yours has more deadfall. I've taken photos of Cyp. acaule and reginae and Arethusa bulbosa in the drier part (but unfortunately pre-digital). And I forgot to mention in the first post all of the sundews that were growing in association with the rose pogonias. Also on the quaking bog were pitcher plants. Just a cool spot located in one of our state parks, but thankfully, but not well known or often visited.

Hello Tom,

Unfortunately there are only two spots in ny where I’ve seen rams head, and one spot in Vermont, and all were visited before my owning a phone camera. I was in the neighborhood of tons of rams head apparently on the bruce peninsula, but with the deep cold weather there last year it wasn’t even close to flowering time when I was there
Yes the amerorchis were amazing, finally got the timing down for peak flowering. My friend who told me when they normally flowered like 30 years ago said the times are weeks sooner now

Back