repoting a paph bearing a pod ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paworsport

Hi

Regarding the previous thread (cross with a concolor hybrid) what is your point of view regarding the repoting of a paph bearing a pod ?

After the flower end remains the pod wich is developing but the plant needs to be repoted to grow best.

Is it dangerous for the pod or the plant, or not at all ?

Thanks for sharing your experience

I think Brachy pods mature a bit faster than some of the others (~6 months). So how long has it been since re potting, and can it wait?

With Barbata types a blooming and capsule maturation cycle could last 1.5 years, so people repot all the time with these in capsule or never get to re pot.

I've re potted plants in both spike and capsule, (because I didn't like the roots at the time). Most of the time the plants went on just fine. A few aborted or died (probably would have anyway given the root condition).

If you've repotted within the last year, then I'd wait. If its been a couple of years, and you are worried about the root condition, then you probably should go for it.

I tend to agree with Rick. If you feel the plant needs repotting RIGHT NOW, then do it. The worst that could happen is the pod aborts. Many times I hold off breeding with a plant if it needs repotting. The health of a good plant is more important than seeds which may or may not produce nice flowers in four or five years.

Hi All

thank you for your answers. In fact the plant has very strong and healthy roots. I just think if the repoting could help the plant to grow th pod. I will check in February if all is ok with the roots.

Phil

Hi All

thank you for your answers. In fact the plant has very strong and healthy roots. I just think if the repoting could help the plant to grow th pod. I will check in February if all is ok with the roots.

Phil

I'm not aware of anyone who has tried to improve pod growth by re potting.

Convention is that re potting tends to temporarily set a plant back in health until it acclimates to the disturbance.

Some species (I don't think Brachys are at the top of this list) are notorious for "sulking" for a short while after re potting.

This is one reason why I'm trying basket/sphag culture for my paphs so as to avoid re pot shock.

Latest posts

Back