Recycling Christmas Trees?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never said I was in favor of mass-marketing orchids, either. In fact, I think selling no-names en masse to big box stores is one of the reasons why orchid nurseries are struggling, some having gone out of business.

A waste of land is a waste of land.

Thanks Candace - unbelievable! Now imagine trying to run/operate a place like that!

I'd get severly lost and spend several hours trying to find my way out. Also, I don't think my one, rechargeable battery sprayer would be sufficient.

I consider daylilies, poinsettias and a variety of other plants as crops as well. I doubt many of them make it a year out of the commercial g.h.

This in Matsui is vast!!!! I cannot imagine how big the first one is!!!! Almost 4 times bigger than this in MAtsui!!! Demand is what makes them like that, right???

Just send out the search party for Candace & me on the first one! Looks like we'll have to pack meals for the day!

definitely the highest percentages of orchids now are grown with the expectation that the buyer will not be able to or not be interested in keeping it alive too long after buying. of course many people would have a vague interest in their purchase staying around, but I think most of the wholesalers are not expecting the plants to stay alive. actually that would probably cut in their production/sales numbers, so they would rather they stayed alive for a decent amount of time so that if/when it dies it will be the owners fault and not the sellers fault (unfortunately I think lowes has a policy where any plant that dies in a year from purchase can be taken back for a refund. I say unfortunately because ultimately plants that get brought back give retailers an avenue to try and not pay more money to the wholesaler) tons of orchids that get brought to big stores end up in their back dumpster because many don't care for them properly or at all, and if there isn't a local orchid fanatic nearby who lurks waiting for the clearance sales then they get dumped.

there are a good number of christmas trees sold, but nothing at all like the number of orchids now grown for the pot plant industry. I've seen a good number of lucky trees in tree farms where the owner never managed to get them sold and they have grown up, but in larger farms they probably just get chipped up or the boughs sold for wreaths and things like that.

Thanks Candace - unbelievable! Now imagine trying to run/operate a place like that!

lots of automation! when our site was still part of hines horticulture they owned a site called lovell farms in florida (when hines was losing ground they sold most of the free space down there around the houses for ungodly sums of money, i think the only year they showed a profit!) that between two sites (one I think over 180 acres and the other making up the rest with some space not being under glass or plastic, maybe shade cloth only) they had over 200 acres total. our company growing consultant told us that truckloads of 25 lb bags of fertilizer would arrive pretty much every week and that many pallets would be used each day. I hate to think about how many unlucky growers would have to be spraying chemicals every day in that heat and humidity...... :( though better them than me)
can't even imagine the amount of water needed and the runoff

I think most of the wholesalers are not expecting the plants to stay alive. actually that would probably cut in their production/sales numbers, so they would rather they stayed alive for a decent amount of time so that if/when it dies it will be the owners fault and not the sellers fault (unfortunately I think lowes has a policy where any plant that dies in a year from purchase can be taken back for a refund. I say unfortunately because ultimately plants that get brought back give retailers an avenue to try and not pay more money to the wholesaler) tons of orchids that get brought to big stores end up in their back dumpster because many don't care for them properly or at all, and if there isn't a local orchid fanatic nearby who lurks waiting for the clearance sales then they get dumped.

I agree because for some one works at lowes and in charge of the greenhouse no less, I have to convice people they are not hard to take care of but on one hand I have killed tons of these orchids and almost none where I get any where else. I make sure no one leaves without getting at least a 10 min course on how to grow them from my expirence. I get people coming back for more so I must do something right. I have never thrown away an orchid from my store that wasn't completely dead and it does not happen often. I buy them when I forced to throw them away and even have other LNS from other stores call me before they throw them. I have saved so many I had to start giving them away. I also give really good deals to socity members looking. But I find interesting in the almost two years i have worked there I have sold hundreds of orchids and I can count the number of orchids that come back to our store on one hand and still have room. I have heard horror stories from others and i am trying to change it.

Latest posts

Back