Question for pk seedling medium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hien

Reaction score
What potting material do you use for phrag kovachii species seedlings just out of flask?
-sphagnum
-prime agra
-bark mix
-diatomite
-etc..
or any of the above combination.

How much water & fertilizer (what type) do you with the specific medium.
The rate of your seedling survival & thriving.

Thanks

Hien said:
What potting material do you use for phrag kovachii species seedlings just out of flask?
-sphagnum
-prime agra
-bark mix
-diatomite
-etc..
or any of the above combination.

Prime Agra(old type). Do not use they new PrimeAgra on seedlings out of flask.
I have also used sphagnum but root growth has prooven to be far superior in leca if watered correctly.
I pot directly in 3 inch individual pots not in compots.

How much water & fertilizer (what type) do you with the specific medium.

Keep the leca surface moist or wet. Several mistings throughout the day.
RO water only for the first few days then MSU fertilizer at 50ppm nitrogen for about a month then increase to 100ppm. Water with fertilizer water every morning and mist (heavy) with pure RO water during the day.
Do not rely on the wicking action of the leca to grow the seedlings directly from flask just know it is supplementing your mistings.

The rate of your seedling survival & thriving.

100% for strong and undamaged seedlings out of the flask.
Small and weaker seedlings struggle and grow slow but most survive.

I've potted them into a standard fine bark mix (actually, I think I used Lance Birk's "Pretty Good Mix", with sand in it). Mine have been growing steadily and I've only lost one plant that I recall. I do keep them very moist and humid.

I've also experimented with putting some of them in the tiny size CHC (marketed under the so very clever name "Piece Coir"). So far, results have been fine, but they haven't been in the mix long enough to be conclusive.

I haven't tried them in S/H yet.

- Matthew Gore

gore42 said:
I haven't tried them in S/H yet.

- Matthew Gore

I want to make it clear that I'm not putting seedlings directly from flask into S/H. With S/H most water comes from the reservoir in the bottom of the pot. Most of my water comes from surface applications.

I found normal S/H wicking to be too dry for Phrag seedlings directly from flask. They survive and grow but by misting the surface to keep it moist throughout the day new basal root growth is greatly increased over other medias I have used. My choice of leca is for this reason as it can be misted or watered all day long without becoming waterlogged.

P.kovachii seedlings coming out of the flask generally have very short roots so the upper one inch of your media is most important for several months until new roots grow downward.

The media is only a tool to maintain proper moisture. Use whatever media or combinations of media materials fits with your ability to apply water and fertilizer at optimum levels.

I guess what I'm saying is I am recommending the use of leca and not necessarily endorsing the S/H method for seedlings from flask.

what pH do kovachii like to grow in?

I will probably be using sphag when I get my seedlings, because I don't want to import all the S/H products. Stupid question but, is there an overwatering issue with these guys too?

smartie2000 said:
what pH do kovachii like to grow in?

I will probably be using sphag when I get my seedlings, because I don't want to import all the S/H products. Stupid question but, is there an overwatering issue with these guys too?

I keep my pH exactly the same as for besseae hybrids. MSU fertilizer added to RO water. I have no idea what the pH is :confused: because I left my pH meter in Peru. :mad: and I don't want to buy another one. :sob:

I kept the ones growing in sphag wet by misting them lightly. I think there would be more of an under watering issue.

Latest posts

Back