Question about RO systems

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you misunderstood my post... we were't buying the one on Craig's list...we bought a brand new one just like that one for $6.00 !

That is awesome Gilda! You're on well water aren't you? Maybe you can add a permeate pump that Ray mentioned.

Both Ray and Toddster63 are referring to the "nested and sequential" membrane systems that I mentioned generally in my earlier post.

Ray do you have a specific kit for the recycle "permeate pump" that you mentioned in your post?

Presently I'm spoiled with having RO water available to me at work, and I only bring home 5-10 gallons a week (so I haven't even taken the unit I purchased for my home use out of the box). Our work system also has internal booster pumps w/ recycle with little waste. But eventually I'm going to have to get the home unit out of the box.

Rick, what I carry is a pump with mounting bracket, plus some extra tubing and an installation diagram (that is also online).

The pump has 4 quick-connects, so it's really just a matter of disconnecting two tubes on the RO system, inserting them into the pump, with the extra tubing used in reconnecting.

One item that may be worth thinking carefully about, depending on your setup, is a water cut-off device in case you forget to cut it off and your container overflows.
I've managed a couple of small floods over the years, but the cut off device takes maybe 98% of the risk out of it.

Alec

Now I'm wondering how all the waste water would affect our water bill since we pay for what we use. I don't want to get a huge bill for all that waste water going down the drain and only being able to use 1/4 of it. :confused:

Now I'm wondering how all the waste water would affect our water bill since we pay for what we use. I don't want to get a huge bill for all that waste water going down the drain and only being able to use 1/4 of it. :confused:

Look at your water bill and determine how much you pay per cubic foot of water, above any set minimum charges. Divide that amount by 7.5 and that is how much you will be paying per gallon of waste water.

I think the matter of waste should include considerations of conservation as well as cost, although cost will be the first thing that will irk you.

One item that may be worth thinking carefully about, depending on your setup, is a water cut-off device in case you forget to cut it off and your container overflows.
I've managed a couple of small floods over the years, but the cut off device takes maybe 98% of the risk out of it.

Alec
Right on, Alec.

Most systems I have seen (and the ones I sell) have a (typically) 3-gallon bladder tank and faucet as the built-in storage- and delivery means, and all have a pressure cutoff switch. If the faucet is closed, the unit produces pure- and flush water until the pressure in the tank comes up to a certain level, and then the system back-pressure trips the switch, cutting off all flow to the membrane. It is both a conservation and membrane-preservation mechanism.

In my greenhouse, on the other hand, I have employed neither the faucet nor bladder tank, and the pure water goes into a large volume storage tank containing a float valve. Again, when the float valve closes, the back-pressure trips the switch, and all flow stops.

I was thinking about getting a GE Merlin (about $350) next year which can provide up to 720gal of RO water per day for the greenhouse, pond, bog and orchids (oh, and probably for humans too, I guess). This was recommended to me be the guys at Sarracenia NW who use copious amounts of RO water for their carnivorous plants. They liked it because it can be turned on and used as a normal hose without waiting for the tank to fill. The manual says that about 1gal of RO to 3 gal waste water.

Anyone tried one?

Ross

Latest posts

Back