Pterygodium catholicum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Berthold,
So long as the tubers are large enough, they can be stimulated to flower by storing the dormant tubers in a bag with a banana peel for a week or two, similar to how you make the Australian species Leptoceras menziesii flower. They'll occasionally flower without it but not particularly well. This is mine from a couple of years ago after banana treatment.

pterygodium-1-1.jpg

Andrew

Wow Andrew. That is nice. What a show. I wonder what does the banana peel simulate.

The ripening banana peel is used as a source of ethylene. Ethylene is released during bushfires and it's thought that some fire-dependant plants use ethylene as an indicator of fire. I guess that other fruit could be used but in Australia, bananas are relatively cheap and you use the peel and still eat the fruit.

Thanks Andrew. I will start collecting banana peels immediately.

Some terrestrials are supposed to flower if exposed to ethylene. Part of florel's mode of action is to break down into ethylene after being sprayed onto a plant. So, there's a slight chance that florel might be able to be used to trigger flowering with terrestrial tubers instead if liquid smoke or banana peels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting information, Andrew. Thank you! I have thought that the general effects of ethylene is to delay the flowering (opposite of gibberelins). Here is an example in A. thaliana. But I did find that it was mentioned in this paper. Well, this paper mentions that flowering of fire-lily is induced by smoke, and ethylene wasn't the cause, but it mentions that other people has shown that ethylene can induce flowering in some species (Freesia and Narcissus tazetta). Good to learn something new!

I can only say "banana peel, banana peel, banana peel" or it may be something else:)

16844203429_64ce7b8611_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back