Pterygodium catholicum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berthold

Reaction score
I am cultivating this species for 7 years now but it will not bloom. I tested bush fire and every thing else without success.
This year I didn't care about the plant at all and it tries producing a flower

10729878676_879b81b682_o.jpg

These plants grow during winter in South Africa in well lit areas. The problem may be that you are not giving them enough light during the growing season?

If you haven't smelt these before you are in for a shock. Imagine a well used urinal that hasn't been flushed in a long time...

The problem may be that you are not giving them enough light during the growing season?

I can't imagine because the flower stem is triggered below substrate surface already.

O.k. I am lucky that there is no flower yet.:wink:

The first flower after 7 years waiting. But I still can't say how to trigger blooming. Its not bush fire, its not nutrient, may be its missing nutrient

11995941416_4f4cfd463a_o.jpg

The first flower after 7 years waiting. But I still can't say how to trigger blooming. Its not bush fire, its not nutrient, may be its missing nutrient

If you ignored it this year, how would it have received that missing nutrient (or do mean lack of nutrient as the trigger)?

With my bromiliads, the less I give them (except plain old water) the better they to do.

This also reminds me of people trying to bloom Maxilaria tenufolia. They try dry then wet, cold then hot, shaded then bright. Then when none of that works they throw it on the compost pile and it blooms!!

If you ignored it this year, how would it have received (or do mean lack of nutrient as the trigger)?

Then when none of that works they throw it on the compost pile and it blooms!!

Rick, lack of nutrient I mean like with Amaryllis belladonna.

I didn't test yet throwing it on the compost but last year I was very close to do that.

Thank you Berthold. It's pretty bad that after 10+ years on Slippertalk, I can still have problems with English translated German:eek:

For pot culture in Germany it seems to do better in nutrient poor anorganic substrate

12242276335_4001e61b7a_o.jpg

Back