Propagating a jewel orchid(Ludisia)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Orchidnut57

How can I root a jewel orchid(Ludisia) that has bloomed(bloom already dead and spike cut back)? All I have is a stem that has flowered w/leaves that someone took off the mother plant. Can this be rooted?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jim

Very easily. Just put the stem in your preferred Ludisia mix (I use cocopeat/perlite, 50/50, but you can grow them in bark, sphagnum, even potting soil). Keep it shaded and humid, if possible. In a few weeks it will be rooted and will start to grow. In a few years your house will be full of them.

Thanks
As Dot recommended I have it sitting in a small vase of water (distilled). Should I add a tiny pinch of fertilizer? or just plain ole clear water? And once do I see roots I will use Eric M's advise and pot it up in an appropriate mix.
Keep your fingers crossed and maybe I 'will' have a house full....to share!
Jim

let the broken stem dry for a day or two then put it in moist sphagnum moss, I've tried lots of ways and this method has worked the best for me so far.

Forrest

You can propogate them much like African Violets. Just place it in water and roots will form. Then plant it in your favorite mix.

Thanks
As Dot recommended I have it sitting in a small vase of water (distilled). Should I add a tiny pinch of fertilizer? or just plain ole clear water? And once do I see roots I will use Eric M's advise and pot it up in an appropriate mix.
Keep your fingers crossed and maybe I 'will' have a house full....to share!
Jim

Don't add fertilizer to the water.

let the broken stem dry for a day or two then put it in moist sphagnum moss, I've tried lots of ways and this method has worked the best for me so far.

Forrest

Thanks...and BTW...the Dinema polybulbon is snuggly stationed on a nice piece of cork bark with New Zealand Moss and coconut fibers as a cushion.
Place under the lights and sprayed daily...sounds okay?

Back