Promenaea Partridge

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
I really love this plant.

The first time I tried to grow a Promenaea I grew it with my Paphs, and it died. The whole time I was thinking that humidity might be the problem. So, when I bought this plant about this time last year, I decided to grow it in a terrarium with my carnivorous plants.

At this point, I'm not yet sure whether I should call it a success. The conditions in that terrarium are very moist. The CPs that are growing in it sit in trays filled with water, and when I go to water them, water usually overflows from the trays and onto the floor of the tank. Thus, this plant, which is not elevated, is often sitting in a thin pool of water. It certainly is usually quite moist, if not slightly wet. It doesn't get fertilized very often, because I always forget about it :eek:. But, it grows and blooms...:rollhappy:. It was in need of repotting when I first noticed this spike in January or February, but I left it because of the spike. Now it is REALLY in need of repotting, and it has another spike coming! I may have to repot it anyway before it rots...

Anyway, here's the pic. The cross is (stapelloides x guttata).

Gorgeous bloom! the lip is deeply coloured and spotting is clear.

then I think it might grow well with Phrags, I think, since you sit it in water.
I haven't killed my Promenaea hybrid, but it hasn't bloomed since I bought it.

Gorgeous bloom! the lip is deeply coloured and spotting is clear.

then I think it might grow well with Phrags, I think, since you sit it in water.
I haven't killed my Promenaea hybrid, but it hasn't bloomed since I bought it.

I'm not sure whether or not they should be grown sitting in water (to be honest I'm not doing it intentionally, it's really been out of negligence). The plant seems to have good root growth, but I haven't actually unpotted it and looked at the root system. It could be rotten down there! Now I'm undecided whether I should keep growing it this way because it seems to have done well so far, or elevate it so it doesn't sit in water. If I do that it might end up staying too dry...I need to repot it!

Nice one!

All my promenaea defoliated when I grew them on the shelves I have under lights. They're all in my terrarium now and have fully recovered, just waiting for some blooms...

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone! It seems like a lot of people have trouble with these plants... I guess I wasn't alone the first time! Hopefully I can keep this one alive.

Nice growingg Joe, really cute flower.

Most of my plants are in a fir bark based mix. My couple Promenaea are potted in long fiber Chilean sphagnum moss. They seem to do better if I keep them a bit wetter. Interesting is that in a bark mix, with the Phrags, they don't do well at all. A wet bark mix does not 'breathe' as well as sphagnum in my conditions. The indication seems to be, wet & humid but with good air movement to the roots. I have kept a Promenaea rollisonii going for more than 10 years, so they hang on without much trouble once established. It should be blooming soon. I'll post when it does.

Latest posts

Back