Problem with leaves...help..!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK!! I found a TDS meter I purhased some years ago and found out that the water I use has 300ppm TDS. I think it is too much, isn't it? Since I cannot get a R.O. system (and I think it is wate of water), I can purchase pure water and mix it with the tap water. Any other tips?

OK!! I found a TDS meter I purhased some years ago and found out that the water I use has 300ppm TDS. I think it is too much, isn't it? Since I cannot get a R.O. system (and I think it is wate of water), I can purchase pure water and mix it with the tap water. Any other tips?

Well, I measured myself the water at Vacherot and Lecoufle over 15 years ago, when the plants were at the peak of their glory, and the EC was around 800. They used nitric acid ( with a pH meter that was fucked up, they fired their old lab director and nursery manager, because he was too expensive, and asked his worker to do the job, however he had no idea that the pHmeter should be calibrated, so they did everything for about 5 years with an uncalibrated pHmeter...), to get the pH to 5.7, and 1g/L Hakaphos blue (15-10-15, nitrogen nearly only ammoniacal, a bit of urea if I remember too and trace of nitrate). So the TDS apparently is not that important, at the end of the day.

300 ppm is not out of the range of what I know some succesful growers use. I would prefer about 50 - 100 (but not 0). I wasn't trying to determine if you had toxic levels of salt as opposed to getting a rough idea of the amount of calcium or magnesium in your water. Your water is probably in the "average" hardness range. Maybe around 25-40 ppm of calcium. Maybe 5 or so ppm of Mg.

So if you use a standard balanced fertilizer shooting for 100 or so ppm of N you would also be getting 100 or so ppm of K. You could afford to add more calcium and magnesium to your system to help offset those large doses of K.

Wild plants (orchids and non orchids) rarely see environmental conditions when potassium exceeds calcium and magnesium. But it is apparent they have become very efficient at extracting K from the environment. So when we make it easy for them its easy for plants to suck up excess K which blocks out uptake of Ca and Mg. Plants then become imbalanced and susceptible to disease.

Nice input Rick!!! Thank you for the advice and info...I did not had this in mind when watering and it is very crucial!!!!!!! As for fertiliser, I use 20-20-20 all year round, about every 2-3 weeks...(if I remember to...)

Epsom salts are a good source of magnesium, but is there any similar material to supplement my plants with Ca? I have both mounted and potted plants, so I would like to add something to the water to do the work..!

Nice input Rick!!! Thank you for the advice and info...I did not had this in mind when watering and it is very crucial!!!!!!! As for fertiliser, I use 20-20-20 all year round, about every 2-3 weeks...(if I remember to...)

Epsom salts are a good source of magnesium, but is there any similar material to supplement my plants with Ca? I have both mounted and potted plants, so I would like to add something to the water to do the work..!

Calcium nitrate.

If you kept up with that thread on Paph concolor (I think John M started it), QuietAustralian had a much different application rate for his fertilizing, which I think is appropriate for all. This cuts back the cold season feeding rate to 0. He only fertilizes during the spring summer when growth is high.

You might also consider, when you make up fertilizer use 1/3 fertilizer, 1/3 calcium nitrate, 1/3 epsom salts in the same volume of water that you would normally dilute in.

So for instance if you normally add 1 tsp per gal of dry fert then go 1/4 tsp / 1/4 tsp Calcium nitrate / 1/4 tsp of epsom salts. Not sure how easy it would be to find calcium nitrate

Something else I recently did was to disolve a small amount (1/4 tsp per gal) of EPSOMA peletized lime (that has both Ca and Mg) stabilize the dissolved in kelp extract, and then add that to a 1/2 strength batch of fertilizer.

My strategy is still evolving for myself, and depends on my observations of plant health, but I'm thinking of eliminating my regular fertilizer during winter and just use calcium nitrate and mag sulfate sparingly during the slow time of year.

Hi Rick,

Thank you fro the helpful advice!!! I supose that I will be able to find calcium nitrate (do not know if easily or difficultly...hehe..). About feeding rate during cold period, I had read this somewhere too, as the plants do not need the surplus of nutrients..they do not even use... especially urea cannot be broken down from plants during cold months (I read this somewhere here too...). :)

If you get Calcium nitrate, keep it in a ziploc bag to keep moisture out as it absorbs moisture readily.

I have been fertilizing with 1 teaspoon of 20-20-20 with 1 tablespoon of calcium nitrate or 1 tablespoon of epsom salt to 4 litres of water.

Paphman910

Where do you find calcium nitrate?

I can think of some chemical supply places, but they don't have retail outlets. I work in a commercial lab so I can get it from work.

However, there are a couple fertilizer companies that make "Cal Mag" supplements which are usually just various combinations of calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. Usually they have a lot more Ca than Mg, but you could beef up with a bit more epsom salt if you feel like you need to.

Maybe DynaGrow to start. Google "Cal Mag fertilizer" and see what you come up with.

The Advanced Nutrition Micro formula was heavy on Calcium Nitrate. I'm sure it won't be too hard to find something.

Paphman thank you for the recipie. It is very usefull!!! Lets hope for the best... :):)

(Maybe I could alternate the formula putting half tbs of each..)

Hi again,

So I managed to get a pH indication for the water I use. It is 7.05. And reminding you that the TDS is 300ppm. Could I use some lemon juice to decrease the pH or what else do you suggest??? TYIA

Also supposing that I will construct a small gh for my orchids, I will use automated misting system. Do you suggest that I use water collected in a container and then watering the plants with is with the misting system (more difficult to construct...), or just use the water directly from the water supply (easier to install...)? I am thinking the first one, as I could mix in the water several necessary compounds (fertiliser, epsom salts, calcium nitrate), but could I use these on the plants with manual supplemental watering on specific time periods per month??? TYIA :D:D

Back