Primulinum and it's variety

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes it is a matter of semantics. Technically, album forms should have no anthocyanins (purple) and no flavonoids (yellow), only chlorophyll. Some, however, use this term to describe plants lacking only the anthocyanins, which are more appropriately described as flavum forms. If we call the yellow ones "album" what do we call the white ones? Sometimes the gene expression varies with the environment as well. I have a Wossner Vollmond which blooms yellow in cold weather and white in warm weather.

I agree with you. I have seen the flava/ flavum nomenclature used for the nominal form for years, and haven't seen a reference to the aureum version until recently. In herps the term xanthics is used to describe animals that lack all pigments except yellow or white. In either case (plant or herp) I think the varietal name is derived from the pigments that are still present in the organism.

I really don't much care what people want to call them, but Eric, I don't know who gave you that information as I can assure you that this species is extremely variable, in both forms, in the wild. I have photos of very white ones, very yellow ones, and a huge variety from the pale colored form you mention to very dark forms, all wild plants.

I really don't much care what people want to call them, but Eric, I don't know who gave you that information as I can assure you that this species is extremely variable, in both forms, in the wild. I have photos of very white ones, very yellow ones, and a huge variety from the pale colored form you mention to very dark forms, all wild plants.

Well, if I paid money for an album, it should be album. time will tell when it blooms. :)

Pinnochio "album"

PA031692.jpg

PA081735.jpg

Just considerig the aesthetics and ignoing the nomenclature, I think the white primulinums are the most beautiful of the cochlopetalums, but my yellow one has a special appeal as well as do the purples. I really would like to have all of them I guess.

Latest posts

Back