Primulinum and it's variety

Discussion in 'Taxonomy' started by Bob in Albany N.Y., Sep 30, 2007.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Oct 6, 2007 #21

Rick

Rick

Rick

I agree with you. I have seen the flava/ flavum nomenclature used for the nominal form for years, and haven't seen a reference to the aureum version until recently. In herps the term xanthics is used to describe animals that lack all pigments except yellow or white. In either case (plant or herp) I think the varietal name is derived from the pigments that are still present in the organism.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #22
    Albums!!!!!!!!!!!

As it is a paph it will be album!!!!!
    Paul

3. Oct 8, 2007 #23

Ernie

Ernie

Ernie

Yep, Paul is right. As the languages of taxonomy imply gender (like french and spanish), white Paphs are album not alba.

-Ernie

4. Oct 8, 2007 #24
    I really don't much care what people want to call them, but Eric, I don't know who gave you that information as I can assure you that this species is extremely variable, in both forms, in the wild. I have photos of very white ones, very yellow ones, and a huge variety from the pale colored form you mention to very dark forms, all wild plants.

5. Oct 9, 2007 #25

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

Well, if I paid money for an album, it should be album. time will tell when it blooms. :)

6. Oct 9, 2007 #26

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

Pinnochio "album"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 10, 2007 #27
    Just considerig the aesthetics and ignoing the nomenclature, I think the white primulinums are the most beautiful of the cochlopetalums, but my yellow one has a special appeal as well as do the purples. I really would like to have all of them I guess.

8. Oct 16, 2007 #28

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

Just to show the benefits of album crosses.. I knocked the bud off by accident! :sob: Now I have to wait for the next one!