Post hail carnage

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had a horrific hail storm today.

fb87bb3f13a6b11e076bd81a0256c74f.jpg

4ee9ba362acdcf328a3ea518c1a08e5c.jpg

This morning, this was a bed of hostas. Now it's just a shredded mess.

96d35b54d11bae0b074b174c5322fdef.jpg

2a548ba8d2feff6d46206fd6886c8d59.jpg

I was extraordinarily lucky because the shade cloth above my orchids protected them from the golf ball sized ice. However, a few plants around the edges got hit, including my only Phrag, a Grande.

ee01cb085bc6e9c00b35dea509c9a597.jpg

8527493b182dbe7734a9463ae8c88cd7.jpg

So the question is, do I cut the damaged leaves, or do I just need to leave it alone?

Man, that's a lot of hail! So sorry! I'd trim off those really badly shredded leaves; but, leave anything that has only minor damage. Keep the plant in a spot with good air movement to help the wounds dry and callus over.

Also, after you trim off the serious damage, thoroughly spray the entire plant with an Aspirin Solution (one 325 mg tablet disolved in 1 litre of water), to give the plant a boost and help it to fight off invading pathogens.

Good luck.

Thats tons of ice balls. I'm glad to hear that the shade cloth didn't just protect from the sun and that most of your collection is still doing well.

How long was the hail coming down? Was it just a short 10-15 minute barrage or on-going for a few hours?

What a mess! I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm hearing
thunder right now and we have a severe storm watch in
effect. All my perennials are coming up nicely and some
blooming. Oh dear!

That looks terrible! 1/2 hour is a long time to be pounded by hail. I hope the bad stuff is over for you and Angela, and everyone else in this storm's path.

We had rain and a fairly nice light show, but none of the
damaging weather. I live in southeastern KY and the mountains usually deflect the really bad weather...knock
on wood. I looked at the weather radar a few minutes ago and we have another front moving our way. Oh goodie, MORE rain.

Welcome to the club!

We had left Colorado and its hail storm to come home to some dry orchids. Our housekeeper doesn't water the last two days we are away. So we get home and the forecast is for rain, chance of hail. I take the plants out of the covered shelving and put them in the open to get hydrated.
It doesn't take much for them to get damaged. I have heard its a tomato farmers worst nightmare.

I have a Phrag Grande with unblemished leaves. You are welcome to half of it, if yours makes it way to the curb.

Back