pollination process

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paworsport

Hi All

I tried to pollinate one of my paph with a stored pollen in my fridge last year. The pollen was not dry but dark or close to brown. I check with a lens if the pollen was ok and I think so.

Are your store pollen darker after some time in your fridge ?

15 mn after I had put the pollen mass on the right place he falled and I give up.

BUT after 3 weeks the pod is developping. I read on tKoopowitz book that pollen are very small and only a small amount of it could fecond a flower.

Could we share experiences ?

Storing pollen in the fridge is a common practice, and I have had success with pollen as old as two years.

I've stored pollen for over a year with success too.

Correct you don't need lots to get a capsule going, but it is better when you can use at least one pollinia. I have heard of people removing a pollen after it has been attached for several days, and re-using it on a second flower.

If the pollen is very dry and brittle I sometimes add a drop of water (either to the pollen before attempting to attach, and sometimes by misting the flower/stigmatic surface.

I haven't tried it yet, but some have suggested using a bit of honey to get a dry pollen to stick.

Phrag pollens are normally even drier than paph pollens, so get ready more more frustration when you try to breed a phrag.:wink:

Latest posts

Back