Pleione 'Fuego'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't take a proper photo at this stage cause there are lots of pointy parts on the flower and the camera cannot focus well enough

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with that problem. I have so many failure photos of Restrepias, it's unreal.

The flower seems to wilt although no water has come in contact with it...:( Also other not seem very promising??? What happens??? LOL

A member here told me not to give water until they grow leaves and that is what i did, but it was wrong now that I see it!!! Bulbs have shriveled and put all their strength in new shoots!!! I have started watering in low pace and then a little bit more... I will see what happens!!! If not, then next year I will try more...lol

Hello Thanasis,
I looked up the culture for both of the parents of Fuego (formosana and bulbocodioidies) and though both have rest periods the recommendations say to keep constantly moist while in active growth. Says formosana only has a brief rest in December while bulb. has a longer one; description does say that constantly moist though means wet but well drained (airy). And both can take quite a bit of cold, so maybe it needs a bit cooler and more misting when not actively growing. Also both very bright and good air movement. Bulb. grows in leaf litter under bushes (like a paph) and formosana often in moss on rocks or fallen logs, or moss on tree trunks. Both have conditions that can allow constant moisture but still lots of air. Maybe growing in live tree moss (not sphagnum) might be a good thing to grow it in?
Just a caution that I don't have any pleiones growing right now, ones I had died so use your best judgement! :( :)

Once they start growth it is time to keep them moist. Yes, it is true that you can rot the new roots with too much water, but you still have to get enough water to them so they can form good buds and leaves. Mine grow outside and are subject to lots of rain at various times, even during their "dry" winter dormancy. P. formosanum goes dormant around November and starts growth again in April. The bulbs can be quite dry during this time and withstand several degrees of frost without harm. Bummer you lost the flowers.

In photos I've seen of them in the himalayas they are on moss growing on tree limbs, sometimes even w/ snow and frost on them. Never completely dry. :confused:

In photos I've seen of them in the himalayas they are on moss growing on tree limbs, sometimes even w/ snow and frost on them. Never completely dry. :confused:

Eric, the reason is the monsoonal climate. In the winter such places often get little rain and then in spring and summer are drenched. That is one reason why plants from south Asia like long, dry winters - many Dendrobiums for example. The moss, especially dripping wet, gives the impression that the conditions are always wet, but often they aren't.

Latest posts

Back