Planning a Visit To Australia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip!

Is the restaurant culture similar to US? tip and all??

Things I learned in Australia

No tipping, although it's not frowned upon..my friends told me restaurant employees are well paid (min wage is fairly high)..i think there is a joke that only Americans tip..sort of the perception anyway

they dont have drip coffee

That's good because I don't like tipping culture. :)
America might be among the few countries.
I think restaurant workers should be paid more and the employers should do that not relying on customers.

I only tip in a high-class restaurant if the service is extra-ordinary. Then maybe $20 or 5% (if $1000 total bill (bill=cheque)). Good wait staff in good restaurants get paid well. In fact most places bring the credit card machine to your table and insert the bill amount, PIN and OK........done.

Have great coffee! Its not cheep. Yes, not drip coffee.

We have Sprite, which is what you get if you ask for lemonade.
Shrimp=prawns.
Gas=petrol

I could go on............Aussies watch enough USA TV to understand American idiom.

You need a PIN number for credit card use - generally, signatures are no longer accepted. NOBODY uses cheques to purchase anything in a store etc.
Get a travel card to withdraw cash from an ATM in $A (load in USA)

Credit cards don't have pin number. It is for debit card.
So, no credit card accepted? really?? I find that hard to believe.
Debit card, then.

Credit cards in Australia (mostly) require a PIN number to make a purchase. It is more fraud resistant than signatures (which nobody checks). It may be very difficult to use your credit card if you dont have a PIN for authentication.

How do you withdraw cash from an ATM in the USA without a PIN ???(when Im in the USA I use my creditcard which is also linked to my bank account ie the credit card can be a credit and debit card - but need a PIN)

Credit cards in Australia (mostly) require a PIN number to make a purchase. It is more fraud resistant than signatures (which nobody checks). It may be very difficult to use your credit card if you dont have a PIN for authentication.

How do you withdraw cash from an ATM in the USA without a PIN ???(when Im in the USA I use my creditcard which is also linked to my bank account ie the credit card can be a credit and debit card - but need a PIN)

Actually you can still sign for everything on credit card, it's a myth that it is now illegal, my father in law refuses to use pin. If u hit OK without pin it will just print out for signature, but they don't tell you that.

I use debit card for ATM.

Many if not most American credit cards have a pin for cash withdrawal. There often can be more interest for cash advances that can start the millisecond after use rather than when your bill statement or 30 days after if you don't pay your bill on time. For this reason I don't memorize or hang onto my cc pin so I'm not tempted to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know that. Debit cards are used for taking cash out. no interest.
Cash advance using credit card account will incur high rates. I don't know who would do that. At least I wouldn't.

I was only in Melbourne for a couple days on vacation, but I strongly recommend the Royal Botanic Gardens. Lots of cool trees and plants and it's meticulously maintained.

Latest posts

Back