Pigmentation on the underside of the leaves?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask what causes the pigmentation on the underside of the leaves to increase/decrease? Is it the light levels? Less light = more pigmentation?

I'm curious because my Paph. Wössner Kolarmi has gotten more pigmentation since I got it home; I can even tell how much the new leaf has grown by looking at it, the difference is that noticeable.

Added picture for the curious ones.

Attachments

• Kolarmi.jpg
    Kolarmi.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 65
Generally, the more sun (or light) the plant receives the more pigmentation will appear on the underside of the leaves. This is know as anthocyanin pigmentation is is comparable to a suntan in humans. It is a response to UV radiation being reflected off the substrate onto the underside of the leaves.

My In-Charm Handel also developed a lot higher number of spots since I moved it to the window. The leaf top is also light green with the mottling or tessellation much easier to see, as opposed to very dark green leaves with just a few dark purple spots on the underside of the leaves.

I want to have a Paph. Wössner Kolarmi, but I got myself a Dollgoldi instead.
I would love to see how yours turn out and we can compare.

Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering what on earth garbage light levels this one has had for a while. I have it standing on my stove where it gets light from the stove light, and that's it. On the other hand, it seems to have been recently imported from Thailand before it came to me, so that might explain it.

My In-Charm Handel also developed a lot higher number of spots since I moved it to the window. The leaf top is also light green with the mottling or tessellation much easier to see, as opposed to very dark green leaves with just a few dark purple spots on the underside of the leaves.

I want to have a Paph. Wössner Kolarmi, but I got myself a Dollgoldi instead.
I would love to see how yours turn out and we can compare.
My venustum moved up into the window earlier in the year, and it also has more pigmentation on the underside of its leaves.

Haha! I wanted a Pah. Dollgoldi, but this was the only one available. I hope I can keep mine alive long enough so we can compare. I seem to be a serial Paph killer, I'm afraid... :sob:

Stop throwing them in the trash just because the leaves have colors or lack of colors.
:poke:
Only done that with one and that's 'cause the lack of colour could've been caused by virus. :poke:

Not worried about this one (it has grown almost 2cm in about 2 weeks, after all), just curious about what causes the pigmentation to increase/decrease since it was so very obvious a change.

Latest posts

Back