PIC of Paph not fully opened ....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, it's a maudiae-type (Barbata) hybrid. The dimples in the sides of the pouch (in addition to your primary concern that it isn't opening) lead me to think it wasn't properly hydrated during spike/bud/flower formation. I'd knock it out of the pot to check the roots just to be sure. If all is fine, just gently tap everything back in place- if it's in a bark mix. If poor roots, there's your culprit- snip the spike, repot into an appropriate sized pot for the root zone and baby it until well after you see new roots coming. Superthrive or similar could speed up the process.

Ah, it's a maudiae-type (Barbata) hybrid. The dimples in the sides of the pouch (in addition to your primary concern that it isn't opening) lead me to think it wasn't properly hydrated during spike/bud/flower formation. I'd knock it out of the pot to check the roots just to be sure. If all is fine, just gently tap everything back in place- if it's in a bark mix. If poor roots, there's your culprit- snip the spike, repot into an appropriate sized pot for the root zone and baby it until well after you see new roots coming. Superthrive or similar could speed up the process.

What Ernie says, I even try to force me to cut of the spike of good looking flowers because the flower itself consumes quite a bit of energy of the plant and new growths and roots develop slower if there is still a flower on the plant.

Latest posts

Back