Phragmipedium vittatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful! If you have growing tip, I'd love to know. Do you treat it like a typical wet phrag with water tray on the bottom? I got one from BelaVista last year, and it is growing OK. I started with a water tray, but I'm letting the water in the tray dry out before next watering recently. I think dodidoki mentioned that he had rot issues when he kept it wet all the time, so I started to worry about it.

I use to grow them with a water saucer on their feet. The tip is to understand how they live in nature: Spring and Summer with lot of rain and winter with dry rest period , but not the trail dry, only the air as they always have water just beside them in nature. Light is also very,very important for you that live at high latitude places - they never change flowering time to north Hemisphere and need good light source from October till March, maybe some artificial light used to Mexipedium or so. The potting media may not have alkaline stones, a mix of washed coarse river sand + a bit of pet + sphagnum. repot only if plant get larger than pot. replace the sphagnum if needed, but is good to stimulate living moss to grow at media surface. Fertilize is a tricky job: use only organic fertilizer , I use bone meal and an organic japanese fertilize named "Bocashii "wich is obtained by natural fermentation and drying of organic residues of vegetal.
Hope this help, any further explanation, feel free to ask.
Roberto.

I think it is too rare sp to end this thread, maybe, if not the rarest sp of phrag. genus. Any story? To get, to grow os any idea to propagate? Maybe more pics about plant, pot, roots etc.
Many thanks: Istvan

Latest posts

Back