Phragmipedium Serge Harvey

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrag-Plus

Reaction score
An other cross from my breeding program….
Serge Harvey Don Wimber x Barbara Le Ann
Here gain you can see differences within the same cross and from the same seed pod...

SergeHarvey1.jpg

SergeHarvey2-1.jpg

Sergeharvey3.jpg

Mmm, 2/3 besseae, 1/6 longifolium, 1/6 fischeri; actually it looks like what I would expect. I'll take one please. :D

Good to know than I'm not the only one who do calculation... But I'm using %, 62,5% besseae + 25% fischerii + 12,5% longifolium (5/8 besseae + 2/8 fischerii + 1/8 longifolium... )Is it that right? ;)

The Don Wimber I did use in this cross is a 4n but I don't have the ploidy of the Barbara Le Ann? Could and should be a 3n but it is fertile?

I figured the Don Wimber was probably 4N as the cross is not as likely as a
3N. I have not seen a 4N Barbara LeAnn, yours is probably 2N.

The cross is probably a dead end, but it is still worth trying for more....

You seem to have excellent talent for these kinds of crosses and I am interested in the mechanics of such crosses. The staminode of besseae and its hybrids is pretty smooth/slick and the pollen is pretty grainy. How do you get the pollen to stick? Also, how fresh are the flowers when pollinated? Any other tricks?

I figured the Don Wimber was probably 4N as the cross is not as likely as a
3N. I have not seen a 4N Barbara LeAnn, yours is probably 2N.

The cross is probably a dead end, but it is still worth trying for more....

You seem to have excellent talent for these kinds of crosses and I am interested in the mechanics of such crosses. The staminode of besseae and its hybrids is pretty smooth/slick and the pollen is pretty grainy. How do you get the pollen to stick? Also, how fresh are the flowers when pollinated? Any other tricks?

I had bought a flask of Barbara Le Ann and did select it for a fertile one. I already have 12 crosses made with it as pod or pollen parent.
And those are not a dead end, as expected in a 3n cross; I do have 6 new crosses just out of flask made with Phragmipedium Serge Harvey...

I don’t have any particular tricks... Or if I have one, it is plants selection...

I like the richer color of the second on but what effect would the weather have on the next blooming? or even the next flower?

Actually, IMO the first 2 are so similar to Phrag Waunakee Sunset in form and color that the soft tones and form of the 3rd flower appeal to me more. BTW [I've heard that] a major part of getting crosses to take seems to be freshest pollen.

Actually, IMO the first 2 are so similar to Phrag Waunakee Sunset in form and color that the soft tones and form of the 3rd flower appeal to me more. BTW [I've heard that] a major part of getting crosses to take seems to be freshest pollen.

Hi! Eric, I like to use fresh pollen but I'm keeping some in the 'fridge' (hope it is a right word?) for a year without any problem...

I like the richer color of the second on but what effect would the weather have on the next blooming? or even the next flower?

With Phrags, cooler temperature = deeper and richer coloration...

Right,one would think, so what were your temps like? I was a bit disappointed with my Rosalie Dixler because the petals & the dorsal had yellow tips. It was in the GH & we had been having cool temps. I brought it in the house, which by the time the 2nd & 3rd flowers opened, we had to have the A/C on & the yellow tips were almost gone! My inside temps with A/C was warmer than what the outside temps were with the first flower! Go figure!

Right,one would think, so what were your temps like? I was a bit disappointed with my Rosalie Dixler because the petals & the dorsal had yellow tips. It was in the GH & we had been having cool temps. I brought it in the house, which by the time the 2nd & 3rd flowers opened, we had to have the A/C on & the yellow tips were almost gone! My inside temps with A/C was warmer than what the outside temps were with the first flower! Go figure!

Sometimes it is not easy to figure out what or why it's happen.... Temperature, light, chemicals...etc, can affect the flowers....? Did it had yellow besseae in it?

My growing conditions are; in winter (almost 6 months over here) I’m keeping my growing area as low as 10/15 degrees at night and days around 20/ 22 and colorations are very good!

During the summer, the temps reach for few days 29/30 degrees at days but it get down to 15 to 18 at nights and it’s usually very good! when the nights are over 25 degrees Celsius the coloration are affected and less intense. But those conditions are rare over here....

Latest posts

Back