Phragmipedium schroederae??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brabantia

Reaction score
phragschroederaeresiz.jpg

A first flowering for this plant that I won at the raffle table of my club last winter. I am not sure about its identity but it looks like a Phrag. schroederae. Any suggestions are welcome.

Phrag. Shroederae is a hybrid and not a species (which is why the second name is capitalized and not lower case).

from a fast internet poke at pictures it could be a Shroederae. Some have longer petals and deeper cooler.

Looking at the "toothy" lip edges, I think it may have an alternate ploidy.

Any suggestions are welcome.
I don't know what it is; but, IMHO, it is NOT Schroederae. The colour is wrong. The petals are too short (caudatum is a parent of Schroederae). The lip has very distinct "horns"....too distinct for Schroederae. In fact, this looks more like longifolium x Schroederae, rather than strait Schroederae. Ultimately though, it is a complex hybrid and you'll never really ever know the correct name.

Phrag. Shroederae is a hybrid and not a species (which is why the second name is capitalized and not lower case).

from a fast internet poke at pictures it could be a Shroederae. Some have longer petals and deeper cooler.

Looking at the "toothy" lip edges, I think it may have an alternate ploidy.
Thank you Rick for your precisions. The reason why I hesitate about its identity, is that the Schroederae I saw on the Net have a red color on the edge of the staminod. I have an other plant for which I am sure it is a Schroederae and its leaves are quiet different not so erected (strenght) than the leaves of the plant presented today. The flower is only open since a couple of days maybe the petals go to lengthen.
And what about a Phrag. Calurum like This?

I don't know what it is; but, IMHO, it is NOT Schroederae. The colour is wrong. The petals are too short (caudatum is a parent of Schroederae). The lip has very distinct "horns"....too distinct for Schroederae. In fact, this looks more like longifolium x Schroederae, rather than strait Schroederae. Ultimately though, it is a complex hybrid and you'll never really ever know the correct name.

Yes it is a complex

Schroederae = caudatum X Sedenii
Sedenii = longifolium X schlimii

So potentially its got everything you suspect is there and more. There is allot of variation and forms within caudatum and longifolium (species concepts that are argued incessantly to this day). Also allot of miss represented schlimii (AKA Cardinal/Cardinale) that could have gone into allot of Sedenii giving double doses of schlimii.

So saying something is "straight Schroederae" is like saying something is "straight mutt". But you are definitely correct that without historic documentation from the breeder/s it would be impossible to identify this plant by picture.

Thank you Rick for your precisions. The reason why I hesitate about its identity, is that the Schroederae I saw on the Net have a red color on the edge of the staminod. I have an other plant for which I am sure it is a Schroederae and its leaves are quiet different not so erected (strenght) than the leaves of the plant presented today. The flower is only open since a couple of days maybe the petals go to lengthen.
And what about a Phrag. Calurum like This?
It's either a deformed Sedenii or as John stated Schroederae X longi

Here is my Schroederaea
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11736
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12071

And here is a true Calurum
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10978

Thank you all for your responses, the first flower is falling this morning but for the second it's a question of days. I will show you it, because it seems to me that it will be more dark.

Latest posts

Back