Phragmipedium Predator

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be interested in seeing the rest of the progeny (assuming many pots means many different seedlings).

I have one of these Phrag. Predators from a different source, and to the untrained eye mine might look similar to yours, but to me they look like very different flowers in ways that are hard for me to put into words.

One thing I particularly like about my plant: The leaves are particularly upright/erect and overall it's a pretty compact hybrid by long petalled Phrag hybrid standards. How about your plant?

One thing I particularly loath about my plant: It's super picky about watering. I can't grow it like the majority of my phrags that sit in tubs of water. I have to water a bit more frequently than I water my Paphs, but my plant is highly prone to rot if I allow it to sit with water in the saucer. I have to watch the plant vigilantly and react swiftly if any sign of Erwinia or rot arises. But also, if I mess up and allow it to get a bit too dry between waterings, it reacts with leaf tip die back or vascular collapse mid-leaf. It's a drama queen.

Also super interesting to me so I hope you'll investigate: My plant has fragrant flowers! I won't say it's a nice scent, it basically smells like Phrag. humboldtii. So, depending on the nose, it might be described as musty, urine, or sweat. I find it slightly more agreeable than any of those, it's actually not entirely repulsive. The scent is also much more pronounced than any of my other humboldtii hybrids -- sometimes I catch a whiff from several feet away just walking by the plant.

I'll be interested in seeing the rest of the progeny (assuming many pots means many different seedlings).

I have one of these Phrag. Predators from a different source, and to the untrained eye mine might look similar to yours, but to me they look like very different flowers in ways that are hard for me to put into words.

One thing I particularly like about my plant: The leaves are particularly upright/erect and overall it's a pretty compact hybrid by long petalled Phrag hybrid standards. How about your plant?

One thing I particularly loath about my plant: It's super picky about watering. I can't grow it like the majority of my phrags that sit in tubs of water. I have to water a bit more frequently than I water my Paphs, but my plant is highly prone to rot if I allow it to sit with water in the saucer. I have to watch the plant vigilantly and react swiftly if any sign of Erwinia or rot arises. But also, if I mess up and allow it to get a bit too dry between waterings, it reacts with leaf tip die back or vascular collapse mid-leaf. It's a drama queen.

Also super interesting to me so I hope you'll investigate: My plant has fragrant flowers! I won't say it's a nice scent, it basically smells like Phrag. humboldtii. So, depending on the nose, it might be described as musty, urine, or sweat. I find it slightly more agreeable than any of those, it's actually not entirely repulsive. The scent is also much more pronounced than any of my other humboldtii hybrids -- sometimes I catch a whiff from several feet away just walking by the plant.
Wow your plant is finicky, mine sat in water consistently. I do have another one just opened yesterday. Wait couple days for it to stretch out n I will post . Last year had a bigger clump that had six spikes, so is not doing anything this year. Sorry no scent.
The new bloom is a lot smaller, a preview attached the bottom bloom is the new one

Attachments

• PXL_20240326_004409331.jpg
    PXL_20240326_004409331.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Wow your plant is finicky

Finicky is almost an understatement! I sometimes make exceptions for fussy plants if I like them enough, and this plant happens to be one of my favorite Phrags in my collection.

In my experience, there's some portion of progeny from these long petaled intersectional hybrids involving species in the caudatum group that seem to be prone to rot if grown with constantly wet roots (like I grow most of my Phrags). So I'm always on the look out with these types of crosses. Usually it's not an issue other than for a small number of these plants.

Finicky is almost an understatement! I sometimes make exceptions for fussy plants if I like them enough, and this plant happens to be one of my favorite Phrags in my collection.

In my experience, there's some portion of progeny from these long petaled intersectional hybrids involving species in the caudatum group that seem to be prone to rot if grown with constantly wet roots (like I grow most of my Phrags). So I'm always on the look out with these types of crosses. Usually it's not an issue other than for a small number of these plants.
Currently wallisii, zapatilla de la Virgen, Rina Soto are in spikes n have been sitting in water for past three years n yes old growths seem to rot away or stagnant high humidity tends to cause rot easily. I don't have the same as you. I grow all 150 phrags indoor under LEDs

Latest posts

Back