Phragmipedium pearcei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Phragmipedium pearcei

I've had this little bush for roughly 5 - 7 years, and this is the first time its bloomed for me. I grow it sopping wet, always sitting in water. The mix is mostly rockwool, with some sponge rock, LECA, and a few other things tossed in, plus a thin layer of sphag and natural living moss on top.

It's been pretty easy growing this plant, other than it absolutely hates getting repotted and it's refused to bloom despite being multi-growth and mature sized since the day I bought it. I've always grown it in one of the brightest spots I have, leaves nearly touching the T8 bulbs. That's bright enough to bloom most of my cacti and succulents, causes high levels of red pigments in them, and way too bright for most of my slippers.

However, based on some advice I got here (thanks guys), this past fall I moved it off the shelf and set it in a fish tank with its very own dedicated 23w CFL and reflector, and here we are, the first bloom! I'm still a little surprised it took that much light to bloom it, since I used to have a Phrag. equadorense that bloomed freely under a single two-bulb T12 fixture.

MnlDxDTl.jpg

M1A2mtdl.jpg

z1VnFTEl.jpg

5vu9sIZl.jpg

I grown mine is chc, perlite, charcoal and moss (50:20:20:10) with the bottom 1/4 of pot mixed with half leca and half styrofoam chunks).

Same lighting intensity as my roths and it has bloomed last three years. I would agree it is a light hog and clearly has some of the darkest foilage of all my plants.

Excellent blooms!!! veryhardy plant, yur plant is so big it's beyond counting the growths lol.

Latest posts

Back