Phragmipedium klotzschianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
The first word that comes to mind when I think of this species is ADORABLE. It had been sitting on my wish list for quite some time, and this year, I finally acquired a couple of them.

I can't give a ton of first hand advice on growing them, other than I feed them much less than I feed my other phrags, which is already less than I feed other genera. I also keep them closer to the bulbs to provide higher light. These like/need to stay wet (and thus warm), though I already grow most of my phrags that way. Tom (Fox Valley) was telling me that these would sometimes turn up in the tropical aquarium plant trade, and even in nature, they are often found submerged in water for part of the year. So, that should be a clue at how much water they like.

These phrags are small. Were my hand made of a suitable substrate and constantly bathed in water, a whole colony could grow on it. They grow a little on the slow side, and the root systems don't appear to be quite as massive as other species. The leaves are very stiff, reminiscent of Neofinetia, perhaps. This first bloom will probably only have 1 or 2 flowers. The slightly nodding flower is proportionally large compared to the size of the foliage. The sepals and lateral petals are pink/purple tinted, with purple veining. The lip is quite uniquely shaped.

In summary, this is a pretty amazing, miniature phrag. If you like small growers, this species and its hybrids should be in your collection.

G4MRRKRl.jpg

qtDSrfvl.jpg

iD8XDQFl.jpg

LBO56sLl.jpg

Oh, that's really adorable. I really like the pouch!
And I think it's very nice that the plant is so small- thinking of huge longifolium or lindleyanum, this is quite an advance, I think.
And know I'm thinking about how to get such a nice little plant in Germany...

Excellent! Pretty cool that you got it to flower. I bought one this year about the same size as yours so hopeful it might bloom this coming year.

It's a great, miniature species. It was originally found stream-side in Venezuela completely submerged during the rainy season, and collected for the aquarium trade as it was assumed to be an aquatic plant. Obviously, it did not survive long as an aquatic plant planted in aquarium gravel! The species has never realized it's full potential as a parent in hybridizing, although the hybrid Phrag. Amazon Pixie (x fischeri) IMHO may have good potential, and Will Chantry (x besseae) is a favorite of those with limited growing space.

It's a great, miniature species. It was originally found stream-side in Venezuela completely submerged during the rainy season, and collected for the aquarium trade as it was assumed to be an aquatic plant. Obviously, it did not survive long as an aquatic plant planted in aquarium gravel! The species has never realized it's full potential as a parent in hybridizing, although the hybrid Phrag. Amazon Pixie (x fischeri) IMHO may have good potential, and Will Chantry (x besseae) is a favorite of those with limited growing space.

An emergent aquatic phrag? I'll have to remember this plant for my future Poison Dart Frog terrarium (when I have more time, money, and can raise fruit flies).

......and I think (klotzscheanum x humboldtii) may produce really nice small growing long-petalled, colorful hybrids for those with limited growing space.

That is indeed a nice hybrid! It is called Phrag. Alien Syndrome:

We already bloomed the next generation, which is Phrag. Nights in White Satin (Alien Syndrome x wallisii); It still shows the heavy klotscheanum influence:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29265

Robert

Hi Robert,

Very nice, but I'm surprised your Alien Syndrome didn't inherit any of the humboldtii 'briar pipe' pouch color! Did you back-cross Alien Syndrome with humboldtii? Seem like crossing Alien Syndrome with wallisii would further wash out the color.......

Latest posts

Back