Phragmipedium Don Wimber 'Big Al' 4N

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeC

Reaction score
Purchased this from Ratcliffe orchids around 12 years ago as a single growth. I have divided it multiple times since. It's a great grower with big flowers. I grow this cold, out with the Odonts.

Attachments

• 20221001_163448.jpg
    20221001_163448.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220731_141156.jpg
    20220731_141156.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231211_115741.jpg
    20231211_115741.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
What is remarkable about the flower is how almost red it is. Most Don Wimber flowers have more orange. There is also NO little notch on the bottom of the petals that many have had. The petals are also proportionately wide and very horizontal. The only thing not quite remarkable is the size. Some 4N Don Wimber flowers have reached 12 cm in width while it looks like yours is 9-10 cm wide?

What is remarkable about the flower is how almost red it is. Most Don Wimber flowers have more orange. There is also NO little notch on the bottom of the petals that many have had. The petals are also proportionately wide and very horizontal. The only thing not quite remarkable is the size. Some 4N Don Wimber flowers have reached 12 cm in width while it looks like yours is 9-10 cm wide?
That depends on how you grow it... Don Wimber can be close to 14+cm as well on a clump in rockwool, which is about 30% of the reason the Eric Young had such amazing plants to display.

In the 90s all the Eric Young plants were grown in rockwool, Paphs, Phrags, Odonts... and it gave them a big edge to get awards and stunning displays.

Yeah, around 10 cm, I've had a couple slightly above this but thats generally where it is. The first flower to open is usually the biggest.

That depends on how you grow it... Don Wimber can be close to 14+cm as well on a clump in rockwool, which is about 30% of the reason the Eric Young had such amazing plants to display.

In the 90s all the Eric Young plants were grown in rockwool, Paphs, Phrags, Odonts... and it gave them a big edge to get awards and stunning displays.
I grow all My phrags in rockwool. I recently received some odonts from the EYOF and they were in a mix of rockwool and perlite. I have to admit the roots were great, I had not thought about growing odonts in rockwool, I haven't yet but as an experiment I might try a few of my seedlings in it, see how they get on.

Yes, that Don Wimber is definitely award quality! If it has not been awarded somewhere yet... There were not that many produced by the EYOF back then, plus they tend to proliferate in flask, so there could be 'divisions' that were though to be seedlings as well. We will never know.

But it is one of the best ones I have seen for sure.

Yes, that Don Wimber is definitely award quality! If it has not been awarded somewhere yet... There were not that many produced by the EYOF back then, plus they tend to proliferate in flask, so there could be 'divisions' that were though to be seedlings as well. We will never know.

But it is one of the best ones I have seen for sure.
Thank you, I don't think it has been awarded.

I've seen a lot of good Don Wimbers. That is a great one. I don't think I've ever seen one as good. Superbly grown as well.

Purchased this from Ratcliffe orchids around 12 years ago as a single growth. I have divided it multiple times since. It's a great grower with big flowers. I grow this cold, out with the Odonts.
Would love to have one.

Latest posts

Back