Phragmipedium dalessandroi and Phrag besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evergreen

Reaction score
This is my Phrag dalessandroi, bought this one in March from Ecuagenera; It was bare root but in good shape (an old, bloomed growth (with that yellow leaf in a photo), and a new one). I didn’t expected it to bloom so soon, because the new growth is way smaller than old one, but I’m very happy, coz I have never seen any in bloom and this will be my first ever phrag in bloom :) next to Phrag dalessandroi is Phrag. besseae from Ecuagenera too. This one came with 2 new growths, and now I see a little sheath coming up on both of them :)

Anyway here is a pic from month ago (Phrag dalessandroi on the left)

And here the pics I took today(Phrag dalessandroi on the right)

Can't wait to see the flower:D

They both potted in coconut husk chips, and on top of the pot is live sphagnum moss (here is phrag. besseae)

I grow them on south window, water with rainwater every other day, int temps.

If the pics are too big, just say and i will resize them.
I love this one :) Don’t know if it’s a real Phrag dalessandroi or not, what do you guys think? The new growth is close to the old one, so no stolons. BTW this is my first phrag in flower and it’s very cute :) Now i want more phrags from section Micropetalum...
pics is taken with flash:
2704899764_90732db8b8_o.jpg

2704076891_25d961099f_o.jpg

in natural light and no flash:
2704076539_4a8da203dd_o.jpg

2704076791_4980b972e9_o.jpg

Thank you very much Olaf, I read that topic a year ago, but could not find it then I need it :) Now I saved everything in my pc. I think it’s real Phrag dalessandroi reading Kyle's thread, everything looks right, except mine do not have branched inflorescent, but maybe because its not a big plant yet, I got it in March bare root, so maybe next year the plant will be stronger and I will get bigger branched inflorescent.

Evergreen. The branching good very well have to do with the age and stability of the plant.

I have a richteri (amazonica) that for the first few years did not have a branching inflorescens. This year its branching like crazy.

Kyle has described and shown the differences very clear in another thread on the pages of another forum.
Perhaps e can show it again here or look to the following page

http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4136&highlight=dalessandroi

Best greetings

Olaf

Do you think these differences warrant species status rather than variety? The range of morphology differences in some of the Vietnamese Paph species is considerably greater than the difference between besseae and dalessandroi.

I remember this thread now, and it was a good balanced argument. As pointed out at one point in the thread, the difference between varietal vs species status is subjective, and his guidelines for separation are well defined.

This being said, these differences are based on an examination on a very limited number of plants not observed in-situ. Given how close they are otherwise, I would bet that in the wild you will find a continuum of "true" besseae" to "true" dalessandroi, which would just be one smeary variable species. This always seems to happen when folks like McCook or Averyanov get to exploring the jungle. The use of the word "true" versus "type" bugs me since the only way to verify "true" is to have perfect documentation of the jungle collected plant.

Given the present state of knowledge the differences justify keeping the genes separate with exceptional documentation. But I suspect that folks will be turning up with slightly out of Type form plants, and getting accused of muddying up the gene pool with illicit hybrids.

Latest posts

Back