Phragmipedium besseae var Flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie11

Reaction score
Here is the first re bloom of my bessese var Flavum. Last year it branched for me so I am wondering if I will be fortunate enough to have it happen again this year....

2012-12-12100340.jpg

2012-12-12100354.jpg

2012-12-12100447.jpg

2012-12-12100630.jpg

Beautiful. I really like the closeup shots.

Many thanks TDT but for me they are out of focus. I am determined to get a camera that can actually manage to take perfect shots of yellow slippers! last year I had my camera phone but this year I upgraded! but still it this struggling to take clear shots of this phrag! Everything else it gets right but this one is a challenge.

Here are some more that are clearer:

2012-12-11155816.jpg

2012-12-11155745.jpg

To be honest, I think your first set of pictures looks better. The last set maybe in focus more but I like the brightness of the first set.

Your bloom looks awesome! Plus, a nice long spike. How bright is your light? I think I need to brighten my light to bloom mine.

To be honest, I think your first set of pictures looks better. The last set maybe in focus more but I like the brightness of the first set.

Your bloom looks awesome! Plus, a nice long spike. How bright is your light? I think I need to brighten my light to bloom mine.

Thanks Billy. I live in the UK in London so as you can imagine light is not something that I have in abundance. I just place it near to a south west facing window all year and it gets whatever it is doing outside. I grow it cold as well as I don't heat the front room. It grows in rockwool and perlite (sponge rock) and it gets fed weakly every watering flushing every now and then.

I love your bessae v. flavum! Is it a little more compact than a regular bessae?

Yes it is. It is very small but beautifully formed! :) It is about the same size as some paphs. It had a stolon last year but this years new growth stayed at the same level so I am pleased about that!

The first set of pics, my thought was - WOW -that's the lightest flavum I've seen!
The 2nd set - oops to much green, might be in focus but needs some color balance.
The 3rd set - RIGHT ON! That's gorgeous!:drool::drool::drool:

Umm, well the actual colour is more like the first set of photos. I just cannot seem to capture a true representation of this one. I shall endeavour to carry on until I do!

Yay besseae! I would love to see the true color.
Me, too.
Umm, well the actual colour is more like the first set of photos. I just cannot seem to capture a true representation of this one. I shall endeavour to carry on until I do!
If you place the flower against a neutral background, you will have better luck capturing the true color.

If it's as light as the first photos it would be good to get the pollen on a Hanne Popow flavum to make more white St. Ouens! Thanks for the updates.

Back